New member from Melbourne, Australia

leighf

New elf
Hi,
I am a nearly-retired electronics and software engineer. Each year we hang half a dozen strings of store-bought lights on the house. I started thinking about synchronising them when I discovered this site and the capabilities of these addressable LED strings.
I think I'll be starting to build up an enhanced display over the next few years, but I doubt I will come anywhere near some of the amazing displays I've seen on this forum. I'm also getting to old to climb too high on ladders but perhaps my children can help.
Anyway, I starting this journey and looking forward to learning lots from you all.
Leigh

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Welcome to ACL Leigh
You missed being able to attend the 2019 Melbourne mini where you could have learned plenty firsthand.
Always great to see another Victorian and also someone with an electronics background.
Grab a copy of the ACL101 and have a read if you haven't already.

leighf

New elf
Thanks for the welcome Al.
I have downloaded ACL101 and it has a lot of useful info in it.
I've done a lot pf PCB designs in the past but now I prefer to buy boards which are plug-and-play so I'll definitely be getting some of your boards over the next few months.
My in-laws are in Long Gully so I might have a look at your display this Xmas.
Leigh

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
HI Leigh, welcome to ACL from another VICtorian :)
Can't go wrong with pixels over "dumb" rgb lights. Pretty much the same price but you get to control every single node. Endless sequencing possibilities.
Cheers, Graham

abundy

Full time elf
Welcome Leigh.
Come December depending where you are, visit one of the other ACL members that have a setup. Intorduce yourself and ask questions. We are normally happy to talk about how we did/do things.

Jim

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Thanks for the welcome Al.
I have downloaded ACL101 and it has a lot of useful info in it.
I've done a lot pf PCB designs in the past but now I prefer to buy boards which are plug-and-play so I'll definitely be getting some of your boards over the next few months.
My in-laws are in Long Gully so I might have a look at your display this Xmas.
Leigh
If you do call past make sure you say g'day. At least a few nights a week the better half, the kids and I are out handing out candy canes. You can't quite see my lights from Long Gully but if the conditions are right you might see the glow this year ;)