New member from TN US

harrison0550

Full time elf
Wanted to stop in and say hello. Like the user a couple of posts down I came here for the rgb expertise. Looking forward to learning from the best. Currently an LOR user but debating switching to LSP for the E1.31 control and sequencing options. Hoping to learn a bit more before I jump ship on LOR because I do love their software and support but after all it's what I learned on.

Bevo

Let your Light Shine before men
Hi and welcome to ACL. You have definitely found the right place for info on RGB lights and control. There are heaps of people here always willing to help you out with any problems you come up with what ever software you are using.

Good Luck for this year.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL, i hope we can help you create a great succesful RGB display for 2012, feel free to ask any questions

Bird

LOR user
18.gif

to ACL Harrison

In my opinion, you have now found 'the best' site on the web for RGB.
Lots of friendly people here that use LSP, LOR, Vixen, etc.
A large amount of info in the forums, Wiki and chat room.

2nd year LOR user here and a few miles north of you in Cincinnati.
FYI - we may see e1.31 support from LOR this year. /fingers crossed

harrison0550

Full time elf
New member from TN US

That is exactly why I am here is to learn more about the E1.31 protocol and LSP. Don't get me wrong I love my LOR sequencer but after seeing some of the things LSP can do vs what my current LOR s3 can do, I'm leaning towards LSP for 2012 and adding some of the j1sys boards if I'm correct in assuming LSP currently runs E1.31 and then can control the j1sys boards without the need of enttec dmx dongles for each universe. If everything I've typed above is correct then economically it is a no brainer. $150 for LSP with E1.31 and under $50 each for the j1sys boards and I already have several extra network switches from work for splitting the E1.31 signal. If I stay with my current LOR setup then until LOR releases E1.31 I would have to purchase multiple enttecs or usb485's for each dmx 512 universe that I am fairly certain I'm going to eat up 512 channels very quickly with my rgb plans this year from changing my spiral/weber tree to all pixel based strings and creating a couple pixel strip matrix and 16 mini trees, firesticks, stars, windows, doors, etc. Lol Ive already made 2 large orders for the strips and strings I'm planning on using so now I just need to decide wether or not to stick with LOR and buy a bunch of dongles. Wait for LOR to add E1.31 support. Or switch to LSP and get started already. Just so many choices in an ever changing technology with rgb pixel based control.

Opinions welcome because I am conflicted to say the least.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Re: New member from TN US

harrison0550 said:
That is exactly why I am here is to learn more about the E1.31 protocol and LSP. Don't get me wrong I love my LOR sequencer but after seeing some of the things LSP can do vs what my current LOR s3 can do, I'm leaning towards LSP for 2012 and adding some of the j1sys boards if I'm correct in assuming LSP currently runs E1.31 and then can control the j1sys boards without the need of enttec dmx dongles for each universe. Yes you are correct in assuming that If everything I've typed above is correct then economically it is a no brainer. $150 for LSP with E1.31 and under $50 each for the j1sys boards Im wondering which boards you may be talking about, maybe you missed the 1 in the $50 as a Pixad8 is a $135 & a PR12 is $150 and I already have several extra network switches from work for splitting the E1.31 signal. If I stay with my current LOR setup then until LOR releases E1.31 LOR have said that E1.31 will be released before the middle of the year, but going off history i wonder if that will be the case. I would have to purchase multiple enttecs or usb485's for each dmx 512 universe that I am fairly certain I'm going to eat up 512 channels very quickly This would be a much more expensive way to do it with my rgb plans this year from changing my spiral/weber tree to all pixel based strings and creating a couple pixel strip matrix and 16 mini trees, firesticks, stars, windows, doors, etc. Lol Ive already made 2 large orders for the strips and strings I'm planning on using so now I just need to decide wether or not to stick with LOR and buy a bunch of dongles. Wait for LOR to add E1.31 support. Or switch to LSP and get started already. Just so many choices in an ever changing technology with rgb pixel based control.
The fact that you are planning on creating a matrix may make LSP a far better choice as LSP has much better support for this. Yes LOR has superstar but its really a tool to be used with the CCR and may be limited to what you can do with other types and lengths of strip and pixels

If your planning on making a switch to LSP then now is the time as it gives you plenty of time to learn how to use LSP. There is a bit of a steep learning curve with LSP to get the most out of it but it does have much more hardware support and features than what LOR has.

Opinions welcome because I am conflicted to say the least.

Comments above in Red

harrison0550

Full time elf
New member from TN US

Thanks, it's good to know I've learned some of what all can be done with rgb and pixels. Just out of curiosity do you think my best approach would be LSP and the j1sys boards or do you have another combination of software/hardware that you prefer?