New Member Hello

Cmduncan1

New elf
Hello all. My name is Christian and I am new to the forum. I am in Indianapolis Indiana. My display started in 2006 at its current location and was mostly a static display of clear white lights. The highest count was 102,000 (all incan pulling around 200ish amps). Since then have scaled back to around 75,000, introduced color lights and wireframes some static and some animated. Over the past 10 days I have come to learn what is next. I am looking forward to learning more and appreciate everyone's willingness to share.

I would also appreciate some insight on my display. My yard is 45 meters wide. The house sits 60 meters from the road. So it would seem pixels on the house may not be as good. I am thinking the display would be best closer to the road. Also I live on a two lane road (one lane each direction) with no pull offs. Over the years I didnt jump to LOR because of the traffic concern. Anyone have a display similar to my conditions? I suppose it would be ok to continue to use the wireframes in the display??

Christian

Old Salt

Apprentice elf
Plan your display using xLights. It's a free download. You can use either a 2d image of your property, or a 3d rendering. It will give you good sense of what your display will look like. xLights is also a great program for sequence design.

TerryK

Retired Elf
Hi Christian. Welcome to ACL. What part of Indy are you in?

I do not see the house 200 feet from the road as much of an obstacle. If anything pixel spacing (pixel resolution) can be increased a bit which will help lower cost and power injection needs. The property width and depth out front give room to spread a display which will help rear props from being blocked by props closer to the road. As to the road, a bit of a problem but it could be worse, mine's a single lane dead end (it is, really!).

I would keep the wireframes converting them to pixels as their lights die. For the other existing parts (and the wire frames) there are controllers which can be added/wired in to control them in an animated fashion. Doing something like that will help maintain your investment in the existing pieces/parts.

bpratt

Senior elf
My yard is 45 meters wide. The house sits 60 meters from the road. So it would seem pixels on the house may not be as good. I am thinking the display would be best closer to the road. Also I live on a two lane road (one lane each direction) with no pull offs. Over the years I didnt jump to LOR because of the traffic concern. Anyone have a display similar to my conditions? I suppose it would be ok to continue to use the wireframes in the display??

My yard is 36 metres wide, and my house is 100+ metres from the road.

I run my mega tree 20 metres from the road, with 50mm pixel spacing. Up on the house I run 90mm pixel spacing.
I also run my lights down the front at 30% and up at the house at 40%.

Like you, the road at the front is your standard residential through road with two way traffic.

Keep your wire frames, and pixelise them as they start to fail.