New members posts

Eastwood16G

Full time elf
Hi everybody, about 12 months ago I joined the forum. I came with my questions.

Most of you said 'hi'. FE gave me some good advice that addressed my questions. Good advice then and still good today.

Lots of new members introduce themselves to the forum with questions. Some of their questions may be confused because they don't know what they don't know (if you will excuse the Donald Rumsfeld-ism).

I try my best to answer their questions because I appreciate it is a steep learning curve for new kids. Senior members have helped me very much this year. Can I ask you to respond to the new member's questions rather than just saying 'welcome'?

Richard

kel

Dedicated elf
welcome2.gif

welcome5.gif

welcome7.jpg

I get your point, but do you get mine ... :)

mborg10

Michael Borg
Eastwood16G said:
Hi everybody, about 12 months ago I joined the forum. I came with my questions.

Most of you said 'hi'. FE gave me some good advice that addressed my questions. Good advice then and still good today.

Lots of new members introduce themselves to the forum with questions. Some of their questions may be confused because they don't know what they don't know (if you will excuse the Donald Rumsfeld-ism).

I try my best to answer their questions because I appreciate it is a steep learning curve for new kids. Senior members have helped me very much this year. Can I ask you to respond to the new member's questions rather than just saying 'welcome'?

Richard
Majority of the time newbie questions can be answered by reading the 101 manual as usually someone early on points out. The rest of us are being polite and welcoming.

Mm

Silent elf
Also, one thing to remember is that not all Hello messages include the questions.

dale82

Senior elf
Richard, you also have to be aware that giving your advice may not always be the best advice and this is the beauty of this forum. You stated that you have been thrown out of chat to the "New" members but I have never seen anyone "Thrown" out. this is misinformation and this is a friendly forum where we like to say hello.

So im with KEL

HELLO and I will keep saying hello.

Bird

LOR user
Here is my full welcome ...

Welcome.gif

to ACL Richard

First the disclaimer
Joining these forums and entering the chat room can give you CLAP!!! :D
Christmas Lighting Addiction Problem

If you haven't found it yet, the new revised 2nd addition AusChristmasLighting 101 manual is a great resource for all things RGB and more. :)

I read their question and/or statement and reply if I can.
Why do I rarely not put more or answer a question ??... cause I ain't smart enough to answer the questions with any degree of confidence or accuracy. FE, when he has time will respond to the newbe questions as many other intelligent members will if they catch the post and have time. :D

However I almost never miss welcoming a new member which is the most important part IMO. ;)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Im not sure what has happened over the weekend but i cannot find Eastwood16G to reply a PM to and it seems like there may have been some issues over the weekend

But to answer eastwood16g question about answering new users questions. Personally i prefer to direct people to the correct information because i find people will remember and learn lots more by being given direction rather than just answers and the forum and its members are here to teach people and share knowledge and not to actually design a system for users because then nothing is really learnt that way.

The other issue is that time is an issue and many of the questions asked are fairly broad that require a long winded response that takes time and effort that many of us may not have at the time, so a quick welcome is given instead

gerry

Senior elf
Hi ,

I was a new member last year and sometimes it is daunting to join a forum especially when one is new to almost everything to do with animated lighting (as I was).

So the response to the initial hello , especially by several people is quite welcoming and which is why I try and say hello now to as many as I can.

The pointer to the 101 manual is quite appropriate as it does have lots of good information.

After that , (IMO) , if the questions are not that generic (eg where do I start) and are posted under the appropriate sub forum , folks knowledgeable in that area will better respond . It also helps the next new person to find this information - as the introduction forum is less likely to be looked at. With a number of new people joining the forum recently , if questions are posed in the introduction thread , and someone has already said hello , they could be missed - just my 2 cents worth

Benslights

Dedicated elf
well from some of your post Eastwood that i have read you really should take your own advice

Re: I guess I don't plug a P12S in!

Eastwood16G said:
Long response to a quip. Wake up, we play with electrical lights, they need power. I honestly don't think we need to pander to the idea that some folks don't think lights need power. I'm quite sure the post above is a HoHoHo take. Not sure who you are embracing within the cool-crowd hugs, but lets not pretend we can have the blinky-blinky without power.

This is a wind-up right! R

also at this time of year a lot of us are on holidays and spending time with our family and are only dropping in to the forum for only a short time compared to what time we normally spend on the forum.

as everyone says the 101 manual is a great place to start.

mararunr

Here to learn! (and share)
3505 NW Edgewood Ave, Bentonville Arkansas, USA
So I was new about a year ago as well. I guess I saw the responses to "Hello" a little differently. As others have said, maybe someone is too busy to answer but still wants to welcome the new person. For others, maybe they don't want to answer the question incorrectly (like me). Now that being said, I'm going to try and be a more active member this year and will try to answer questions where I can (but even after a year I'm definitely still learning too). No harm, no foul on the suggestion in my opinion and I appreciate those that just say welcome as well. Just my two cents worth.