New PixLite Firmware/Features

ltay13

Full time elf
Community project designer
Hi All,

We've just released a firmware update for the PixLite controllers. Version 1.3.0 now has the DMX outputs enabled as well as a built in test mode. The DMX outputs will work on all controllers including ones from a long time ago (they just have a single output instead of 4 like the more recent ones).

Make sure you download the latest Advatek Assistant as well to configure your controller with. You can get the latest assistant and firmware from here: http://www.advateklights.com/resources/

Test mode works by holding down the "Factory IP" button for 3 seconds after the board is running and then letting go. Single clicks after that will scroll through test modes. Hold down again for 3 seconds to go back to normal operation.

Hope you all enjoy.

Luke

davrus

Silent elf
Great news !!!!!
I didn't mind waiting.
I bought the PixLite 16 because it included this feature (the DMX output) - the test mode is an added bonus.
Another reason, was the functions provided by the Assistant software. I don't mind getting locked into your hardware, as I like the idea that I can control all my controllers from one place, and see their status.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Great timing Luke. I plan on hooking up my lights for the first time this weekend and the test pattern will be very handy.

So with the DMX outputs, does this now mean I can run my LOR controller through my 1.31 network by hooking it up to the dmx output of the pixlite board. Do I need a crossover cable. If I can then it's even more good news for me.

Devo

Apprentice elf
BundyRoy said:
So with the DMX outputs, does this now mean I can run my LOR controller through my 1.31 network by hooking it up to the dmx output of the pixlite board. Do I need a crossover cable. If I can then it's even more good news for me.

Yes this means you can now run your standard DMX devices/controllers from any of the 4 PixLite DMX512 universe outputs. The PixLite uses the ESTA standard for the RJ45 jack wiring, so you will just need to covert from that to the RJ45 pinout used on your LOR controllers. Pinouts are available in the user manual and also here on the ACL Wiki I think.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Devo said:
Yes this means you can now run your standard DMX devices/controllers from any of the 4 PixLite DMX512 universe outputs. The PixLite uses the ESTA standard for the RJ45 jack wiring, so you will just need to covert from that to the RJ45 pinout used on your LOR controllers. Pinouts are available in the user manual and also here on the ACL Wiki I think.

Thanks Devo. Found it in the wiki. Didn't realise DMX only used 3 of the 8 wires in the network cable.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Was just thinking about the test mode at lunch time. Does the test mode send any signal out of the DMX outputs. I figured it wouldn't as there are numerous things that can be controlled by dmx and each probably needs a different signal. But I won't know unless I ask.

Devo

Apprentice elf
No - test mode is for the pixel outputs only. The DMX outputs send specified universe data to some other device(s) for processing and outputting.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
I've updated my firmware (very easy) and have now plugged in my lights. Got test mode working. Only the first 50 (give or take my counting could be a little rough) pixels come on. Is this normal or have I got some dud pixels.

Have only tried one strip so far and have only tried it on output 1. Will go and try some other outputs and strips and see if there is any difference.

Thanks

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Further testing. I have now read the new manual as well. It says all pixels should light up. I have now put on a second strip. Same thing as last time. Only the first 50 pixels light up. Surely I can't be unlucky enough to have two strips fail at exactly the same pixel number.

The test mode scrolls through all the patterns and colours as it should. If it helps I am using INK1003 strip with 30 pixels per m (it's also 30 LED's per m) on 3m strips. So each strip has 90 pixels. Running the strip on WS2811 fast protocol.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Just had another realisation. I hadn't turned on my Advatek lights assistant as yet. Just turned it on and going through the settings I realised I had set the controller to 50 nodes per string whilst mucking around the other day. I'm now thinking this is too much of a coincidence. Will set it to 90 and I'm pretty confident my issues will disappear.

Thanks for my help. ::)