New to ACL & wants to know/do all the good stuff

Amo66

New elf
Hi ACL,
I am new to the fully controlled lights for Christmas etc and would like to do some cool stuff for my kids.
Only have really old lights and want to upgrade big time.

I looked at the light-O-Rama but would like to get something from Aus

What to use?
Where to get the good controller from in Aus that can be use with music
Want to use new RGB LED lights
Where to get them

Any help would really be appreciated

dale82

Senior elf
Welcome to ACL, I would start by downloading the 101 manual and have a browse thru that before commiting to anything. jump into chat as there is always a wealth of knowledge in there also. Where abouts are you located?

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
There are 2 options in OZ

AAH makes boards and so does Advatek and Yagoona distributes some J1sys boards all are good and give you far mmore bang for your buck that that LOR stuff.

As far as lights go many of us use Ray Wu in China, just make sure your Paypal account as plenty of zeros in it and you place can look like Disneyland

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Not only do Advatek and I make Aussie made boards but David_AVD does too. Advatek also makes pixel boards similar to the US based ones that Yagoona_Lights stocks in Aussie.
The ACL 101 which has been revised should have the new copy in the learning centre as of today and this is a great resource for finding about nearly everything related to blinky lights. http://auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/Controllers shows details on AC and DC controllers. Don't buy AC unless you really have to. It's easy but it's expensive and most lights are actually low voltage rather than 240V.
There's details in the 101 about the software packages and links to videos on using most of them too I think.

David also makes isolated usb-dmx dongles and I sell cheap Chinese ones too if you go with dmx controlled DC boards.

Bird

LOR user
Welcome.gif

to ACL

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL and yes the ACL 101 manual is your best starting point. You will find lots of great help here in the threads and in the chat room

AAH said:
Oops. I was a bit premature. The revised 101 is still at http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php?topic=5803.0 and hasn't made it into "the leaning centre" yet.

[me=AAH]looks in Fasteddys direction :D [/me]

For some reason I cannot access this file and get a 'You are not allowed to access this section' so I cant move the file to its new home. Strange as I should have these access rights

Amo66

New elf
Thanks for all the replies, yes reading the 101 down load :D
Located north lakes Brisbane
To get the same effects as the LOR system do you need to have DMX or just RGB ?
Can you do the program on ipad or macbook?

Should have started a lot soooooner

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
You came to the right place, lots of options to choose from so take your time and dive in :D

Jump into chat and ask questions.

Welcome to ACL, the biggest playground on earth

-Blu