New to sequencing so be gentle (or not, i can take it ;-) )

penguineer

Full time elf
Welcome aboard Rowan!

battle79 said:
So when I said ever group of ten LEDs I actually was thinking in my head every 2mtr section (which you probably all realised anyway).
So that gives 32 channels of icicles across the front of the house (blue and white overlaid), should give good ability for effects. Thinking of maybe 8x 2ft trees on lawn with 2 colors each (based off lights i already have)
If i don't get carried away I can get away with one board to start with.
Now to order board, power suppy, wire, and anything else you happen to notice i'm forgetting

Errrmmm....I'll be the voice of dissent here ;-) (one in every crowd)

Sounds like you like soldering, being a sparkie you'd have the other major hassle with this story(wire) sorted. This would take a lot of time to cut apart your existing lights, add cable to the new segments(and needs to be long enough to get back to the controller, so potentially wire length for each section by 32).

I was thinking about this the other night and I was wondering - what would the density of the LEDs be when mounted on the house and how would effects look from the front of your yard? Would it be better considering some sort of pixel-based lights for a better and more flexible effect?

I've got LED string-based mini-trees (about 2-2.5 foot high) in the yard and a 200LED string wrapped on each gives good coverage.

The "ramp-up cost" for RGB is a bit higher, but it sounds like you're already looking at doing DC power :) so the difference in doing this is largely the controller portion of the setup and the lights themselves, but I think the ease of setup and reduction in time may be worth it.

I haven't made the jump to RGB myself, but I'm seriously wondering about the pricing and how a small investment in addition to the strings I have would change the display for next year.....

Good luck!

Cheers!

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
What I have found is that people new to the hobby who jump in too quick around Christmas end up wishing they had held out and made more educated decisions after learning more and becoming more confident with understanding RGB pixels

battle79

Full time elf
Ok so much reading and the following has been concluded:-

ECG-D2 is cheaper than a USB to DMX dongle, any reasons/arguments for the dongle?
Still see need for a AAHMega60 for existing lights.
AC controller might have to wait, (or spend the cost of the controller on LED rope lights).
Cheers,
Rowan

P.S. Forgot to answer this twice now, I am in Chirnside Park, out past Ringwood almost to Lilydale.

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
battle79 said:
Quick question,
Whats the best way to order ECG stuff ATM, website store no good and Ebay store has no ECG equipment.
Is their a contact for them/him?

Cheers,
Rowan

As you suspected, emailing him is the way to go. Ed's email is
j1sales@joshua1systems.com