new to the block

razataz327

Garnet
Merry Christmas to all. Hi my Name is Garnet from Didsbury AB Canada.. That is just north of Calgary. We have several feet of snow and is only minus 27 right now.
I have been planning a big Christmas light display for years. We finally have our new house and yard finished so ready to start the work on the display. I have 10 Grinch controllers and boards to make up the ssr to got with them.
I came across you site and now want to add the rgb ligths. I would still like the Grinch to control the on/off lights that I have.. about 400new led light set from rope light to string lights.
My first question is can the Grinch be run parallel with a rgb controller and if so which one and how is it set up?
Is there a better way to do it and no use the Grinch but still use the ssr boards or a complete new way to do it?
I am looking at about 400 plus channels not including the rgb set up.
Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Garnet

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Welcome to ACL Garnet.
RGB lights are just 3 coloured lights that are used to mix the colours. What you may be thinking of is pixels. I'm sure Eddy will be along in a while and will give you a link to his lighting 101 which is a great place to gain some info.
There's nothing stopping you from running grinch, dmx, pixel and anything else side by side.

razataz327

Garnet
HI thanks for the welcome. I have read all the links that Phil sent me. There is some great info on there and great videos on the site. Yes the lights I want to run are the pixels.. I am learning all these new terms. AAH what hardware would I use to run the grinch, dmx and pixel side by side? Thanks for your help.
Garnet

Bird

LOR user
Welcome.gif

to ACL Garnet

razataz327

Garnet
Hi thanks for the great info and help. I was doing some more reading on the pixel lights and it seems that they will only work down to minus 20 C. Well our nights this week were minus 33 C. So it appears that they will not work. Is it the circuits that shut down, the pixels or something else? Does anyone know? Thanks
Garnet

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
razataz327 said:
Hi thanks for the great info and help. I was doing some more reading on the pixel lights and it seems that they will only work down to minus 20 C. Well our nights this week were minus 33 C. So it appears that they will not work. Is it the circuits that shut down, the pixels or something else? Does anyone know? Thanks
Garnet

We have a few Canadian members here that suffer the same temperatures as you so maybe a seperate thread asking the question may yield better results for you