New trend in the community of blinky - In my opinion.

cdjazman

Full time elf
I don't know about you guys but the thing that is starting to get under my skin just a litte is the amount of sequences that are now being "SOLD" on various forums.

Some points before you jump at me. :)

Yes, people have the right to do what they want.
Yes, it does take time to create sequences. I have made a few myself.
Yes, I agree the sequences I have made and shared, without charge, are far from amazing and world beating. Not bad but..... :)
Yes, there are some big players that have spent many, many hours creating high density and multi-prop sequences who are amazing and deserve the kudos.
Yes, some people do not enjoy, or struggle making a sequence.

BUT..........

What happened to this community being a hobby and sharing resources and knowledge and skills?

Why the rise of people charging for "basic" sequences?

What I have noticed is there has been sequences shared for free and then suddenly several start showing up on various socials with slight differences and a cost. I have even noticed paid sequences put out there and then very, very similar sequences pop up a week or so later. Also with a charge to download.

I have not stopped creating sequences this year, but I am reluctant to share what I have done.

Like I said, this is my opinion. Agree or disagree, that is your opinion. Just my thoughts.......

Anyways have a great holiday season all and hope you are not replacing too many pixels in your matrix (like some of us..... o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O)

christmasdave

Full time elf
From a newer member I guess I have just assumed that much of this was normal, need a sequence that someone created and they have a site? then you pay for it. I never really thought about how this would have evolved over time. I think a big problem is potentially the ease of access to the google share drive, while it is a fantastic resource, it is easily accessible by anyone and there is no real 'trail' sometimes of who did what.

I have started to notice what you mention, several times now I have seen a sequence for sale that is very very similar to a preview I watched on the share drive. I roll my eyes when I see this and just say to myself 'no thanks' and decide not to buy from that vendor, ever.

The new sharing site https://xlightsseq.com/ I think will be able to help combat this. Hopefully this is where we can start to see accountability as free sequences created by the community now have the ability to comment and rate sequences and creators. It will be easy to point back to a link or notify someone that their sequence was 'stolen'.

All that aside, please share if you want to, or maybe just 1 or 2 an test to see if you like the new sharing site? (I'm not affiliated with it by the way, I just like using it) :)
I've shared a couple of sequences I created there and I enjoy knowing I'm giving back in some small way.

And pixels? yep, only 1 night so far I haven't had to do some fixing.. Lot's of fun :)

Adsy

Full time elf
Unfortunately in a growing community there will be THOSE people.
I feel for those who dont enjoy or have time to sequence as they probably are the most vulnerable.
I have used a couple of your sequences @cdjazman and they are quite good so i understand your reluctance to share.
These days I use shared sequences for a few christmas/kids songs and do my own for the rest so i have a point of difference to other displays

darylc

404 darylc not found
It's a hard one. Personally I'd rather go to the dentist than spend time sequencing.

My recollection is that whilst there was some free sharing before the sequence stores appeared, it wasn't a big thing. There seems to be more sharing than ever before as the hobby has grown, but a lot of it has moved behind closed doors - eg UXSG facebook group.

I prefer the sequence sellers than the closed so called 'sharing' grops that make their sequences basically inaccessible to someone like me who although I contribute to the community, I don't have a sequence to pay the entry fee to their group.

My show has significantly improved through access to some of the lower cost 'basic' as you would call them sequences, so I'm happy with that.

Nojoy

Full time elf
It's a hard one. Personally I'd rather go to the dentist than spend time sequencing.

My recollection is that whilst there was some free sharing before the sequence stores appeared, it wasn't a big thing. There seems to be more sharing than ever before as the hobby has grown, but a lot of it has moved behind closed doors - eg UXSG facebook group.

I prefer the sequence sellers than the closed so called 'sharing' grops that make their sequences basically inaccessible to someone like me who although I contribute to the community, I don't have a sequence to pay the entry fee to their group.

My show has significantly improved through access to some of the lower cost 'basic' as you would call them sequences, so I'm happy with that.
The other negative behaviour of UXSG and its ilk is the rampant superiority of some members. Forgetting it's a hobby and people learn by doing, some expect you to be Tom Betgeorge or sequencing every potential high density prop in every sequence to meet their lofty expectations of participation.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Yes this can be a tricky topic as discussed already.
When I first started out I wanted the satisfaction of the display being 100% my own. I bought the gear, I wired it, constructed it, put it all in place and sequenced it.
My issue is (and this happens when I try to produce remixes or original music) the ideas I have in my head I struggle to get out onto the canvas i'm working on. It might be lack of knowledge of how to re-produce the effects or sounds, or sometimes its just I want instant satisfaction and not want to wait the hours or days it takes to get the final result.
So I too have started to lean towards either free or purchased sequences. I really need to be in the mood to sequence and since late 2019 I haven't been in the mood (no thanks to being stuck at home on a screen all day thanks to lockdowns) so quick & dirty downloads or re-maps have been the norm of late.
I'd like to think that 2023 for me is getting back to my roots and doing more of my own sequencing as a way of re-launching my (planned) bigger display. But as always, time will tell...

cdjazman

Full time elf
The other negative behaviour of UXSG and its ilk is the rampant superiority of some members. Forgetting it's a hobby and people learn by doing, some expect you to be Tom Betgeorge or sequencing every potential high density prop in every sequence to meet their lofty expectations of participation.
The UXSG group is on a whole other level. They will share but only if they deem you worthy. Load of bollocks. Again in my opinion. 😁😁😁

cdjazman

Full time elf

I couldn't agree more. People share if so many different ways....

tooms

12v4life
I've purchased a few sequences over the years, unfortunately now they're $50 USD upwards and in .AU dollars that's like $75, I personally can't justify spending that amount of money on sequences anymore, now I just scour the xlights google drive and adapt older and or free sequences into my show.

LawrenceDriveLights

Senior elf
This is a copy of a Facebook post so hopefully the links work

Free Sequences
Hi all, its that time of year again I hope everyone is getting their displays set up and running.

Now it comes time to sequence, in particular if your new to xLights this season and haven't already completed your sequence list for this year here is a list of free sequences that have been shared from vendors and the community which may help new users.

You will see a mix of Christmas songs plus other popular or fun songs some people may wish to add to their displays.

Note I am no longer a vendor, I have just included the following as they are well known and also proven to map well to most layouts.

Firstly xLights Around The World Projects, there a number of great sequences available including;

The Greatest Show

Little Drummer Boy

Christmas Everyday

Into The Unknown

You Make It Feel Like Christmas

These are available from here;

and of course, this years selections.

Lights of Christmas

Danger Zone

available from here; http://xlightsaroundtheworld.com/2022-project.html

Now some sequence vendors who offer free relevant sequences

Showstopper Sequences have a number of free sequences, including;

Santa is back in Town

My Jesus (Anne Wilson)

RGB Sequences, have a number of free sequences including these two

Carrie Underwood – Away In A Manger

The Weeknd – Blinding Lights

EFL has a free sequence available

Nat King Cole – The Christmas

There are a number of community shared sequences on the google drive (most have videos also so you can preview). You can access the shared drive here.

Also a number of free shared sequences available from;

Lastly a number of shared sequences available from the Aus Christmas Lighing Forum here

I may be a bit biased :) Hey Come Look At My House is a fun sequence you may like

Or Bluey

This is not a complete list, and I am sure I have missed a number of vendors who have free relevant sequences available feel free to add them in the comments.

cdjazman

Full time elf
This is a copy of a Facebook post so hopefully the links work

Free Sequences
Hi all, its that time of year again I hope everyone is getting their displays set up and running.

Now it comes time to sequence, in particular if your new to xLights this season and haven't already completed your sequence list for this year here is a list of free sequences that have been shared from vendors and the community which may help new users.

You will see a mix of Christmas songs plus other popular or fun songs some people may wish to add to their displays.

Note I am no longer a vendor, I have just included the following as they are well known and also proven to map well to most layouts.

Firstly xLights Around The World Projects, there a number of great sequences available including;

The Greatest Show

Little Drummer Boy

Christmas Everyday

Into The Unknown

You Make It Feel Like Christmas

These are available from here;

and of course, this years selections.

Lights of Christmas

Danger Zone

available from here; http://xlightsaroundtheworld.com/2022-project.html

Now some sequence vendors who offer free relevant sequences

Showstopper Sequences have a number of free sequences, including;

Santa is back in Town

My Jesus (Anne Wilson)

RGB Sequences, have a number of free sequences including these two

Carrie Underwood – Away In A Manger

The Weeknd – Blinding Lights

EFL has a free sequence available

Nat King Cole – The Christmas

There are a number of community shared sequences on the google drive (most have videos also so you can preview). You can access the shared drive here.

Also a number of free shared sequences available from;

Lastly a number of shared sequences available from the Aus Christmas Lighing Forum here

I may be a bit biased :) Hey Come Look At My House is a fun sequence you may like

Or Bluey

This is not a complete list, and I am sure I have missed a number of vendors who have free relevant sequences available feel free to add them in the comments.

Yes I did forget to mention that some of the bigger vendors do give away free sequences and that is great for people to test the water with a vendor. And kudos to them for that. Also a great marketing/advertising tool for them as a business.

franky_888

Full time elf
Some ramblings from me...

The skill gap needed on starting this hobby is definitely a lot lower than when I started looking. When I started looking at a pixel display:
  • Light Show Pro was still the main software, and it was something like $400USD just to buy and had a channel limit.
  • xlights had only just been released and only did a few effects that you then had to export into LSP/Vixen.
  • Controller/channels had to be programmed manually, there was no such thing as a null buffer (only null pixels, and they had to go at the beginning of a string)
  • Controllers were only capable of a fraction of what a Falcon/Kulp/Hanson controller can push now and cost just as much.
  • LED panels weren't a thing, people built matrixes by bending coreflute.
  • Coreflute props weren't a thing
  • People weren't scared of strip!
Which speaks volumes to how much the xlights dev team has done to make the entry this hobby so much more accessible to people wanting to do a display.

Vendors popping up everywhere kinda annoyed me to start, but in another way, competition breeds value. What I'm more disappointed in a way this year is just how fragmented the community is. Everything here in Aus used to gravitate around ACL, nowadays it's all on FB, and more often than not the advice on FB is just to join the Zoom Room.

Acknowledging that I'm part of the problem here; I treat my Christmas lighting as a part-time hobby, between Feb-Oct it's only in the back of my mind, it's just a little saddening to come back year after year to find less people that pioneered pixel displays hanging around, or giving up the hobby altogether. These days people get some generic recommendations of FB/Zoom, buy some sequences and call it a day.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
For those that don't want to have to join a forum to get access to the free sequence info etc there's also another site and it indexes free and paid sequences.
https://xlights.info/ As of now there's 968 sequences listed for free that you don't have to be a member of any club or forum to access.