Newbie cabling questions

RolyT

New elf
Hi,

I have purchased a power supply, some pixels and a small controller and now have some queries on cables/wiring and where to purchase (in amounts less than 100M):

*Power supply: didnt come wired up for connection to 240 outlet. I assume I need to get a sparky to do this, or do you just sacrifice a plug from extension cord and wire it yourself? (I need sparky anyway for outdoor power points so not too much of an issue).
Power supply to controller: Unsure on wire type/size to run from power supply to controller? What does everyone use and where to buy?
*Power injection: have some long runs so was looking at something like this? https://www.altronics.com.au/p/w4170-100m-roll-double-insulated-heavy-duty-28x0.30-14AWG/
*Controller to pixels: Was just going to add pigtails straight to the controller is this what everyone does?

Appreciate any assistance

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
According to Aussie law any fixed electrical wiring must be done by a sparky. A chopped off lead off an extension lead is actually probably what most people use. You can get just the male ended leads but they are probably more expensive than a 2m or 3m lead from Bunnings etc.
Power supply to controller is a matter of how much current you are getting between the 2 or more what they are capable of. You want about 1mm2 per 10A. For the full 30A that an output on a power supply is physically rated to you would want something between 2.5mm2 and 3mm2.
For connecting from controllers to pixels either chopped up standard 0.75mm 7.5A rated extension leads or alternately 6 core 14/0.2 security cable with 3 cores for -, 2 cores for + and 1 for data. Like https://www.altronics.com.au/p/w2371-14-0.20-white-6-core-security-cable/
Power injection can be nice big figure 8 like you linked or alternately the same 6 core security cable I just linked with 3 cores for - and 3 for +. the 14/0.2 cable works out to about 0.44mm2 per conductor so 3 conductors gives you a fairly substantial amount of copper at low price and also with a pretty small diameter. Because it's a low voltage cable it doesn't have the thick sheaths that mains cable has. The cable can be found in black or white and there's plenty of places that have it cheaper than Altronics. Make sure it's the 14 strand 14/0.2 and not the light duty 7/0.2.

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.