Newbie from FNQ

Tropical Turkey

New elf
Hi. Just thought I'd introduce myself - I've been hiding out in the dark corners of this forum for a few months now. I've read the 101 from cover to cover a few times and I'm planning to take the plunge and go animated for Xmas 2013... I'm more into building stuff than getting technical, and planning to create some corflute masterpieces to go with my display. Wish me luck! I love that this site is fantastic for all sorts of info!

Bird

LOR user
Welcome.gif

to ACL

Glad you found the 101 manual, hope you find the info you need to make you design come to life.
If you don't find something or don't understand after reading the 101 don't hesitate to ask the many friendly people in the chat room or post a question in the forums.

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL, we sure look forward to seeing some of your corflute creationsm Don't forget to share your ideas.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Welcome to ACL
As well as all the other problems you'll have getting lights out and blinking you'll be coping with probably a metre of rain during blinky season. Good luck with that. I dread a few mm of rain during the nights that the lights are on down here.

Tropical Turkey

New elf
Thanks for the warm welcome, guys!
And yes, we get LOTS of rain in December some years (even got a cat1 cyclone chrissy day in 2010) - which is why I'm going animated AND going low-voltage this year! Not much of a display when you've gotta turn it off cos it's pouring rain and you've got 240V running all over the house and yard!

I definitely appreciate the advice on this site though - and it's taken alot of reading threads on this forum to convince myself to go down the DIY path. Definitely glad I've held off buying too much gear yet, but have already made a list of what I want...

...do you thing I'm coming down with CLAP???????

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Tropical Turkey said:
...do you thing I'm coming down with CLAP? ??? ???
I would say you have a mild case. You can get rid on it by cutting up your credit card immediately, Once you get your hand on your first controller and lights there really is no turning back.