Newbie getting started, questions on outlining the roof in intellegent RGB

Boogie

New elf
Hi everyone, great forum. I'm a newbie and have been trying to read as much as I can to try to understand the basics of RGB. I am still struggling with the requirements for what I would like to do however. I am not a computer wizz nor an electrical engineer but I am pretty handy and learn fast. I am comfortable doing DIY boards and enclosures. I am planning to get started with a simple outline on the gutters around my house with intelligent RGB strip, the length is about 335 feet. I would like to be able to do chases, different colors, fades etc and want it to look like one continuous strip of lights but had a few questions. Can that length be done in one strip and what kind of equipment, power supplies controllers etc, would I need to be able to run that distance? What kind of cost do you think a setup like this will cost? Where is the best place to buy the weatherproof strip?

SKMoss

New elf
Welcome to ACL.

I'll echo the comment about reading the 101. TWICE

One strip? Not really. You'll need to power inject (add more power leads) (read about that in the 101) with a run that length.

The 101 doc will talk about software, controllers, power, etc.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL, lots of info and help here so as already mentioned read the ACL 101 lighting manual at least twice. For the average novice it can seem overwhelming at first but the pieces do start to fall in place

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Pixel strips come in 5m lengths and are typically 30 pixels per metre but this varies upon whether it is 12V or 5V. You want about 100m or 20 strips which is possibly going to be 3000 pixels. The most any of the pixel controllers will output on a single output is 680. This means that o do the full border you would need something like a J1 Sys P12 or Advatek Pixlite 16. To actually implement the house outline isn't really all that hard it just involves a few wires, several power supplies and some perserverance.

Welcome to ACL by the way.

gerry

Senior elf
Welcome to ACL,

I would suggest that you have two power supplies , one at each end as that will reduce the lengths of the PI cables.
12V pixel strip is more tolerant of voltage drop then 5V - there is a thread somewhere explaining why.

You may then also wish to consider having two controllers . My set up (based on advise from Fast Eddy) is a P2 with a power supply at each end of the house. I had quite a bit of spare capacity , which this year I will utilise as I add more elements.

Boogie

New elf
Thank you all for the warm welcome. I did download the manual and have read it but must admit got a little lost in some sections. I plan to read it several more times but figured I could get some advice in the meantime since it seems that outlining a house is a pretty popular option. I really don't want to make a mistake and but the wrong or unsuitable equipment.