Newbie Glenn saying Hello!

glennoky

New elf
Hi All,

I am an absolute newbie to Christmas lights, yet alone computer controlled ones, but I've promised my 6 and 4 year old Girls that we'll have a display next year, so I'm in the learning phase. My profession is computer programming and one of my hobbies is practicing a "do it yourself" attitude that I learnt growing up on a farm and have a Shed/Workshop to support it. Hopefully this gives me some chance, but I'm not underestimating the task before me, it looks HUGE! :)

I've started reading the Wiki and am now downloading the 101 Reference and plan to simply read before asking my first of my many hopefully not so stupid questions. :)

Regards,
Glenn.

StuartW

Apprentice elf
Welcome Glenn
As is often said around here the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. There is a great bunch of people here that are more than willing to pass on the knowledge they have gathered over the years.
You sound like you might just the right skill sets of being a Techie and Bush Mechanic all in one :)

Stuart

kel

Dedicated elf
welcome27.gif

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Welcome to ACL Glenn.
Ask as many questions as you need on the forums or pop into chat. There's heaps of friendly advice to be gained from this site.

Bird

LOR user
Welcome.gif

to ACL Glenn
Since you have already found the new revised 2nd addition AusChristmasLighting 101 manual, which is a great resource for all things RGB and more. :)
My only suggestion as this point is read through it several times. :eek:
When it starts to make sense .... that's when your budget is in trouble. :D
It is also when its time to ask questions before you purchase anything.

AussieDoug

Full time elf
Welcome to ACL Glenn, don't forget that chat is always a great source for double checking things. There is nearly always a fair few people around more then willing to help.

glennoky

New elf
Hi All,

Thanks for the encouragement. My reading/research has progressed to the point where I understand the comment about "budget in trouble". :) But I've come in knowing $'s will be involved, and knowing I don't have to go all out first up.

Let me know if I should start a new thread? But I'll put my first question here:

To focus my readings, at a high level, is the following a valid green-fields newbie approach for the basic infrastructure?

- Network: E1.31

- Controllers: SanDevices E6804/E682
- Sequencing Software: Vixen 3
- Sequencer: RPi/FPP

Thanks,
Glenn.

i13

Dedicated elf
That'll work although it would be worth investigating more controller options and the F16v2 in particular. There's a group buy for it now.

The sequencing software is often referred to as the sequencer but I know what you mean. You want to use a Raspberry Pi so that you can run the show without your sequencing computer connected.

There are still other things to consider such as how to get the music (if you want it) out there for the viewers to hear. Also read up on the advantages and disadvantages of 5V and 12V remembering that they are different for strings and strips.