Newbie. Help needed please

Dez

Fueled by Christmas - Inspired by You!
Hi everyone. I am very new to all of this and have read the introduction articles and also seen various videos. I really know nothing about all of this electrical talk and the more I read the more confused I get. I now don't know where or how to start. I currently have a basic set up of lights but would like to take it a step further. My original thoughts were to go with the LOR 240 volt where I can simply plug the lights in and away I go. This seemed the easiest but I have now discovered this may not be so easy. I was also considering getting some lights from mytbrite lights and use these to plug straight in. I know nothing about boards or wiring. Please help!!!! I am willing to learn.

dale82

Senior elf
Hi Dez, Firstly where abouts in QLD are you? secondly we are not too sure on your degree of knowledge so that is why if you jump into chat that we could steer you in the right direction.

Eastwood16G

Full time elf
Not sure whether I'm still a newbie. I'm an electrical engineer with paperwork to prove it. Some of Xmas lights stuff is not obvious to me. There is some trial and error. I would jump into chat, there are no stupid questions. I have been told to shut up - but in the nicest possible way.

Welcome to ACL.

dale82

Senior elf
Eastwood16G said:
There is some trial and error. I would jump into chat, there are no stupid questions. I have been told to shut up - but in the nicest possible way.

Welcome to ACL.

Gee that makes ACL sound a bit harsh. I am in no way an expert but with the proper guidance I have created a great display.

Eastwood16G

Full time elf
Sorry Dale, didn't mean to be harsh. I have been told off in chat (actually kicked out!). As have other newbies. But without malice. And in a nice way. R

dale82

Senior elf
I have been apart of ACL now for 4 years and I have never been kicked out of chat. This is a friendly environment and everyone is always welcome to voice their opinion.

jcmarksafb

Hello from Christopher Creek Arizona
Welcome to ACL. I know of no one being kicked or told to shut up on chat. We have a great bunch of folks who all started out lost at one time or another. Stop by chat and say hi. It is sometimes real busy and other times with very few people there, but always friendly. You might start here http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php?topic=1889.0 It will answer a lot of your questions. Again Welcome to ACL and good luck!
John

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
I can't recall anybody getting kicked out of chat except maybe if chat was full and you were Idle for a period of time.

Chat has always been a friendly place and I have had many problems solved just by participating in conversations even if I did not benefit from them. It is all a big learning curve.

How I started out was with LOR (via wow-lights). This allowed me to learn how to sequence with just AC strands of lights. Later I bought CCR's (before I knew about DIY LED's). But this helped me learn about Smart pixel strips.

Finally, I bought a lot of pixels, controller boards of various types, LED strips of various types, DMX bridges. I basically got to know every controller out there and played with different pixel types and voltages. I had a LAB. I used LOR and Xlights, Da_DMX....watched Youtube videos...I tested LSP

I got comfortable with it cause I played with it. I experimented with it.

Here is what I learned in the few years I have been a member of this site.

1. design your layout...will you use existing lights or go all out and replace everything. do you have a spot for a matrix, a Pixel tree, Arches, star-poles. Decide on 12v or 5v and what works best for you.

2. When you design your props, pick a controller that fits the prop.

3. pick a sequencer you feel computable with, test them all out if you like

4. ask questions in chat

5. post, use the forums, participate, that is how you learn

6. if you see what you like on someone's display and you like it... ask them how it is done. Everyone shares here.

7. plan ahead. don't wait until Dec to build your display.

There is a lot more I am sure I left out...so keep on reading, chatting and learning

-Blu

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Eastwood16G said:
Sorry Dale, didn't mean to be harsh. I have been told off in chat (actually kicked out!). As have other newbies. But without malice. And in a nice way. R

Im sorry to hear this and surprised as well as only the mods and admin have the ability to kick out people from chat which i know is not used often. It may be the server kicking you more than an actual person.

But then ive kicked a few in the past but mainly in good jest and mucking around. :D

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL Dez, what you are feeling is totally normal with people new to the hobby as there is a lot to learn and it can become very overwhelming, but with some persistance, reading, re-reading and asking questions then before you know it all the pieces will fall into place.

If your looking for more of a plug and play solution then you may want to take a look at Minleon lighting and give me a call

multicast

Senior elf
(1) There are dumb questions. - They are the questions you don't have an answer to, and you don't ask. All other questions are good questions.

(2) There are ways to get good answers. - You need to provide some background to your question.. For example, asking " what colour is it ".. We don't know what it is.

(3) Be paitent. sometimes answers come quickly, other times not so quickly.

Dez

Fueled by Christmas - Inspired by You!
Hi all thanks for your input. I am in Toowoomba. I have a few ideas on what I would like in my yard but not sure what lights are suitable. I looked at mybrite lights which look like good quality but are expensive. Should I be buying lights from China through Ray Wu?? I am still looking at using a 240 volt plug and play type thing.

For those of you who asked about my abilitys, I spent 6 months helping an electrician and know enough to wire a house. I am a cabinetmaker and chippie and can build just about anything. The problem is I know nothing about dc stuff and circuit boards etc. I understand diy will be cheaper but I don't want to go out and buy a heap of stuff which will sit around and not get used.

dale82

Senior elf
Dez I'm in Kingaroy. And I knew nothing at all about wiring and circuit boards etc. you have a degree of electrical knowledge so you'll be fine jump into chat and people will be able to provide good info for you

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
Don't run out and spend your money yet work out what you want your house to look like, the work out what lights you need then what controllers you need and THEN cost it. nothing worse than running out of $ half way through.

It is very easy to spend a lot of money on this hobby each year. LOR is very expensive especially at present with the Aus $ There are far cheaper options about that will do what u want....

Don't worry about the ....no experience ... thats exactly where I can from, had absolutly NFI (and some say nothing has changed) as long as you want to learn the knowledge is here and in chat.

Hold that credit card until you know what you want

scamper

Dedicated elf
I agree with hold on until you know what you need, so far as controllers, dongles etc.
But I have found that as long as you buy lights that are controllable, LED strips, strings etc, then you can always find a way to use it.
I keep an eye out for any specials on Ali express at all times and if I find something cheap, I will get it and work out what I need it for later.
Not so with controlled strings such as the Bunnings ones etc as I find I don't have the patience modify these.
Anyway, jump into chat, get some idea of what you want and then buy the basic stuff and start playing. There is nothing better than hands on experience to learn.