Newbie making my first 2D Mega Tree

fmt1962

New elf
Just hoping that someone can comment on my shopping list. I think I have worked out the components I need.

I intend to build a 2.5m 12 branch 2D mega tree using conduit and WS2812B LED strip. (may expand to 16 branches)

6 x WS2812B LED Strip 5mtr
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/BLACK-PCB-5m-DC5V-WS2812B-led-pixel-srip-IP68-30pcs-WS2812B-M-with-30pixels-waterproof-in/701799_1846623152.html

12 x pigtails
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/10pcs-lot-3-Core-BLACK-Waterproof-pigtail-20cm-long-each-male-and-female-male-connector-s/1019853359.html

6 x T - cables for power injection
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/3-core-T-type-waterproof-splitter-the-middle-is-2core-BLACK-color-the-male-connect-s/701799_1707253215.html

2 x 5v 400w power supplies
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5V-400W-rain-proof-switch-mode-Power-Supply-AC120V-or-AC230V-input-DC5V-output/701799_1750594048.html

1 x ECG-P2-2 controller
http://www.j1sys.com/ecg-p2/

I have chosen 2 x 400 watt power supplies given the pixel strings are 30LED/m = 14.4w
Thus 14.4 x 2.5 x 12 = 432. To be safe use only 80% capacity so I would need a 540w power supply.
It would seem better to get 2 x 400w and I could add another 4 strings and go to 16 branches if I wanted.

The controller, I have 30x2.5x12 = 900 pixels / 170 = 6 universes required.
The P2 should give me 2 connectors with the capacity for 4 universes each, again should be OK for this project and again able to go to 16 should I wish to expand.

I also considered the Pixelite 4, this would seem an attractive option, but costs a little more.

Is my logic OK, or is there an error in my thinking?

I have seen the odd comment that the P2 can be a little sluggish? Am I better with the Pixelite 4?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Daryl.

Benslights

Dedicated elf
I have 6 x p2 in my display and they are not sluggish at all.
some of them are nearly max on outputs and work like a dream.

do not know who is giving you that information

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Watching this thread with interest as I too am thinking of a 2D tree this year!
Any reason for 5v Vs 12v strip?
Also, never seen black strip before - would this fade in the Aussie sun? Wonder if UV treated at all?

fmt1962

New elf
Thanks for the feedback all,

I can see one error myself in review... the strips are 7.2w/m and not 14.4w/m ...duh....
So one power supply should do.

I also chose silicon filled strips rather than epoxy resin as it appears the resin ones will yellow in the sun from what I have read.

Also, not sure what software to use, I am leaning toward LOR + superstar option, the interface appears straight forward. Alternately LSP, but this looks a little tricker to learn and a little more expensive.

Thanks for all the information here, it has taken a lot of reading to start getting my head around all this stuff, I know it will probably seem straight forward after a while, but at first it is rather overwhelming.

Daryl.

Habbosrus

Back again
You can save yourself a little work if you wish and ask Ray to cut the strip and add the pigtails. He normally charges very little for this. Don't forget to email him with your list and request a quote.

gerry

Senior elf
Hi,

Normally (from previous posts that I have read for a megatree), folks tend to 12V if using strips and 5V for strings , though I am sure that there are quite a few who have done otherwise.

Suggest that in addition to asking Ray to connect the pigtails , that you also but another 25 or 50 for future use. that way u will get ones that are consistent.
Similarly with the power injection tails.

The Pixlite 4 has more outputs than the P2 (I have 3 P2s for longer runs and they work very well) and I think would be better suited for a tree as if there is a failure on a pixel during the show , you will have less lights off . It also has a DMX output. That would be my preference in this case (tree- I will be using a Pixlite 16 that I have for the same purpose) . Ensure that u buy additional PSUs s a backup.

mborg10

Michael Borg
You can never have too many pigtails. Get heaps of them. I get Ray to solder on my pigtails. Makes life easier.

Everyone is different but I only use 12v in my display that way I only need to buy one type of PSU and only keep one type as spare.

Habbosrus

Back again
Have you considered Sandevices controllers? I have an E6804 controlling my 2d tree (12 strips x 3mtr) and have experienced nil issues with it. The E6804 can be purchased in kit form for US$69 or assembled for US$99 + postage here. I use E6804's and have recently purchased a Pixlite 4. I have been very impressed with both. The support I have received from both Advatek and Sandevices has been outstanding. I intend to expand my use of Advatek controllers this year (as the finance minister - the Wife - permits).

Porsche

Full time elf
As for your post above about software preferences. When I started playing with synchronised lights I downloaded the trial versions for most of them to see what their all about. My personal opinion only, I found light show pro (LSP) to be best. In fact I use LOR to mouth sync my singing characters but LSP to sync the display.
There's some really cool stuff you can do from LSP and very easy to do.
You'll find a heap of support on here no matter what software you use but I think you might find LSP to be the most popular here..