Newbie Needs Help

Tbernstein2368

New elf
Scenario:

1. I’ve got 15M or RGBW led pixel strip which I plan on installing on front of house (all connected in one straight 15M run.
2. I do have spare computers around to act as the player (sorry if I’m using wrong term)
3. Controller can go in garage which is less than 10-15M from the start of the string. (And the middle of the string if i’ll Need more than one output.
4. Pixels are 30 per meter so a total of 450
5. No plans to expand this over time.

Questions:

1. What co troller should I purchase and other than the controller, power supply, cabling/connectors and x@lites do I need anything else.

Tony.G

New elf
Hi Tbernstein2368
I use a advatek pixlite 4 mk2 but falcon controllers are the way to go with meanwell power supply.
This time of year would be hard to get a controller but there are other options I recommend reading the ACL 101 manual

JohnsRdChristmas

Full time elf
The main question is really controller,

Do you just want to control just the strip?

If so you should be ok to do it on 1 output, and you could use a bunch of different types of controllers to do it,
(But all on 1 output will likely require power injection)

From a raspberry pi (you can get add on boards, or there are pin outs available to wire your own) would give you 2 outputs,
To the christmas controllers (a long list of suppliers/boards) which can give you multiple outputs,

If you plan to expand and control a whole house, probably best to begin with the end in mind, map out your house in xlights, and then people could recommend soloutions based on the setup,

My first year i decided i just wanted the 2 outputs, and had the raspberry pi, and 12v power supply on hand, so just spent the 30 bucks for the pi hat and was up and running, (plus some wire and a few bibs and bobs (connectors, heatshirnk etc))
And although the pi is super handy and can be also used to run the show off (fpp) its not 100% required, and you could save $60 and put towards another controller and use xschedule to play the show off a computer etc,

As above the ACL 101 manual is a must read,

Tbernstein2368

New elf
Hi Tbernstein2368
I use a advatek pixlite 4 mk2 but falcon controllers are the way to go with meanwell power supply.
This time of year would be hard to get a controller but there are other options I recommend reading the ACL 101 manual
Thank you. I did get and read the manual.

Tbernstein2368

New elf
T
The main question is really controller,

Do you just want to control just the strip?

If so you should be ok to do it on 1 output, and you could use a bunch of different types of controllers to do it,
(But all on 1 output will likely require power injection)

From a raspberry pi (you can get add on boards, or there are pin outs available to wire your own) would give you 2 outputs,
To the christmas controllers (a long list of suppliers/boards) which can give you multiple outputs,

If you plan to expand and control a whole house, probably best to begin with the end in mind, map out your house in xlights, and then people could recommend soloutions based on the setup,

My first year i decided i just wanted the 2 outputs, and had the raspberry pi, and 12v power supply on hand, so just spent the 30 bucks for the pi hat and was up and running, (plus some wire and a few bibs and bobs (connectors, heatshirnk etc))
And although the pi is super handy and can be also used to run the show off (fpp) its not 100% required, and you could save $60 and put towards another controller and use xschedule to play the show off a computer etc,

As above the ACL 101 manual is a must read,
hank you very much. I did obtain and read the manual

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
If you're just going with the 1 strip then a Pi and a cape/hat would be what I'd go with. They are capable of controlling up to a few thousand pixels and a fair portion of them have a real time clock onboard so you can set a schedule and let it go.