Newbie Power Supply Question

tacaram

New elf
Sorry guys, wanted to check if these power supplies would be sufficient to run 12v lights? I would think so given the 150W output and 10A output at 12v, but wanted to confirm prior to buying. Thanks

Attachments

• PSU Pic.jpg
    PSU Pic.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 27

scamper

Dedicated elf
It will work some lights, just check the output voltage is stable first (looking at it should be) but bear in wind that at 60ma per pixel The current will add up pretty quick, so you won't be able to power too many.
60ma per pixel = 3 amp per string of 50 = 3 strings.... At full brightness that is.

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
I use a PC power supply no problem for small amounts of lights.
Just remember to connect the green wire (PS-ON) to a black wire (GND) to start the unit up.

TerryK

Retired Elf
It/they should. That 12 volt output though is 120 watt maximum. The supply total wattage is not to exceed 150 watt (the fine print under the chart). With that mentioned I would be surprised if the outputs could not be loaded heavier at the expense of greater ripple in the output. Some PC supplies however are intelligent enough to shut down if it detects a severely overloaded output.
Since you mentioned the supplies have not yet been purchased, I would suggest taking another look at single output supplies such as a Meanwell LRS-150-12 unless you have specific reasons for leaning towards a PC supply.

tacaram

New elf
It/they should. That 12 volt output though is 120 watt maximum. The supply total wattage is not to exceed 150 watt (the fine print under the chart). With that mentioned I would be surprised if the outputs could not be loaded heavier at the expense of greater ripple in the output. Some PC supplies however are intelligent enough to shut down if it detects a severely overloaded output.
Since you mentioned the supplies have not yet been purchased, I would suggest taking another look at single output supplies such as a Meanwell LRS-150-12 unless you have specific reasons for leaning towards a PC supply.
TerryK

Thanks for that. I have just spoken to the supplier (IT guys) and they will be gifted to me so was not sure of the costs of them when posting. I figure for free it is worth taking them and looking at what I can do. They have 12 for me so figured I could do something with it.
Thanks for your response. Will also look at other supplies.
Cheers