Newbie question about power


Topper Man
Generous elf
Dec 29, 2019
Note as what Skymaster has said further up, this is all relevant to the state you live in and everyone should be looking up their states regs.

For QLD, the Electrical Saftey Act 2002 states that only elec qualified persons will carry out electrical work.

What is electrical work?​

Under section 18 of the Electrical Safety Act 2002 (the Act), electrical work includes "the manufacturing, constructing, installing, testing, maintaining, repairing, altering, removing, or replacing of electrical equipment".

This covers tasks like:

  • installing a new power point
  • replacing a light switch
  • replacing a batten holder with a new light fitting
  • repairing an electrical appliance like a heater
  • altering the location of an existing power point
  • replacing a light fitting with a ceiling fan
  • constructing an extension lead
  • replacing a plug on the end of an extension lead.
It’s not illegal to purchase electrical accessories or appliances that need to be hard-wired, but they must be connected by a licensed electrician.

Other work such as replacing a drive belt in a washing machine, cutting openings for air-conditioning units or fitting, but not connecting, an electric wall oven in a kitchen cabinet are not regarded as electrical work. However, electrical risks such as damage to, or contact with, wiring contained within wall cavities need to be considered and controlled, particularly when cutting holes or driving screws or nails into walls.


Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Dec 19, 2021
Western Sydney
But if it requires you to wire anything that is connected to a general outlet I don't think it's allowed.
For NSW - That part was explictly highlighed in red - the 240V side of an appliance is fine. The demarcation point as far as the licensing goes is the power point, anything on the "wall side" is licensed, anything on the "plug side" is not.


Apprentice elf
Sep 25, 2022
The Victorian one doesn't seem to be limited to fixed.. just based on voltage. And it's not as friendly to look at.

For the purposes of Division 2 of Part 3 of the Act, the following classes of electrical installation work are prescribed classes of electrical work— (a) electrical installation work carried out on an electrical installation ordinarily operated— (i) at low voltage or a voltage exceeding low voltage in any area; or (ii) at any voltage in a patient area (other than communication equipment operated at extra low voltage);

And the definition of extra low voltage which would seem, would not require a licence

extra low voltage means a voltage not exceeding— (a) 50 volts alternating current; or (b) 120 volts ripple-free direct current;


Dedicated elf
Jan 5, 2014
The fixed wiring, as in part of the house, MUST be done by a fully qualified electrician.
What you must read further into, is that there is a difference in the plug in stuff which you can (and legally must) get a limited licence which allows you to work on the plug in side.
As a repair technician, this is what I required while working in the industry.
What varies from state to state I believe is how far a limited licence will take you.
For instance, in WA we can get a limited licence to actually replace power points and light switches etc, as long as the wiring is already in place and done by a suitable qualified electrician.

One thing I will note is the phot that DarkwinX posted shows an elongated earth wire, which is (or was when I got my licence) a requirement but I have seen very few fully qualified electricians do this :unsure: In saying that, also when I got my licence a power cord legally had to be at least 1.5m long so if the appliance fell off a bench it would hit the floor before tearing a wire out and exposing wires, so I am guessing as I see cords less than 900mm long on a regular basis that law has been revoked xD
Either way, if you want it to code and your insurance to cover you, then in Australia get an electrician to wire the ac side of you supplies.
Otherwise, be careful and get someone to check it if you are unsure, just keep your fingers out.