Newbie question

ranga384

New elf
Hi all,

Bit of a newbie question, but I am trying to get a new differential board working and after trying a heap of different wiring configurations, only get the first light of my 2811 string to light up as blue. What could I be doing wrong?

First step for troubleshooting - does the board have a test mode? If you hit that - does every pixel light up?

Yep tried the test mode. Just the one blue light. Lights connected to the main board work as they should during test mode.

Right. Could there be an issue in the way your pigtails/etc are wired onto the receiver? I'd look at double-checking that.

Hi,

Just had a look through your posts are you using the expansion with your HE123 MK2. If so the test button via the Oled from memory will only test based on your configuration in fpp. (Some falcon recievers have a test button which will test all ports and disregard configuration but the hanson expansion don't have this test button).
Are you able to list your hardware out and how its all connected so we can help you a bit better.

I would definitely check out your FFP configuration and/or setup the board in xlights ensuring the expansions are selected and upload the output but this is where it really helps sharing a diagram on how you've setup your boards and what models they are.

1722416930914.png

Well today I learned something. I have the falcon boards where the button says: just push power + data down each path and see what lights up. Will keep that in mind if I pick up any of the Hanson receivers.

Ok so double checked wiring as suggested and a bit more success with the first being coloured and a following 6 or so being white. Still doesn't do anything when in test mode.

Hi,

Just had a look through your posts are you using the expansion with your HE123 MK2. If so the test button via the Oled from memory will only test based on your configuration in fpp. (Some falcon recievers have a test button which will test all ports and disregard configuration but the hanson expansion don't have this test button).
Are you able to list your hardware out and how its all connected so we can help you a bit better.

I would definitely check out your FFP configuration and/or setup the board in xlights ensuring the expansions are selected and upload the output but this is where it really helps sharing a diagram on how you've setup your boards and what models they are.

View attachment 26546
Hey, sorry it would've been more helpful starting with that. Using HE123mk2 with HE123-TX going out to PS1DIFF4. When connected with an ethernet cable and pigtail connected, green light is working on PS1DIFF4 which I figure means it's working. Xlights config is exactly as you've show. I put a variety on different props on the ports to see if any different one might work.

Attachments

• 20240731_195809.jpg
    20240731_195809.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Awesome,

So your HE123TX is plugged into the HE123 MK2 into the "OUTPUTS 17-32" as per this

Spoiler content hidden. Log in to see this content.

When you upload your output from xlights down the bottom of xlights do you get "upload complete"
Spoiler content hidden. Log in to see this content.

if you get upload complete can you post some photos of your outputs and inputs from your Falcon Pi Player via the web-browser

Yep have HE123-TX plugged in as you've shown, facing the right direction aswell towards the pixel outputs.

HE123TX.jpg
Xlights with the 'Upload Complete' message
Upload complete.jpg
And these are the input and output settings I currently have to get it working.

FPP1.jpgFPP2.jpgChannel Inputs.jpg

Using Status -> Display Testing, do the pixels light up using that?
Until you get that going, nothing else will work.
The other thing to check is that the TX is correctly placed over the header, if it off by one row you'll get strange results.

Then, turn off multicast, switch to DDP. It'll simplify things in the longer run.
Do that in xLights by setting the controller to DDP mode and running an Upload again.

Have continued playing around with it and tried the Display Testing as suggested. No luck. Main board lights up fine but new board doesn't. Removed and reattached the TX and same result.

Went back to the wiring again and somehow got a blue, then red and about 5-6 white lights now. They do however come on as soon as power is supplied.

Do those lights work when directly attached to the main controller?
Have you tried checking the cat5e cable between the transmitter and receiver? Bypass any adapters and glands you're using and just run a short direct cable between the two boards.

First light blue is often caused by the lights being hooked up in reverse. There is a data in and a data out. The data in connects to your controller.

Been back at moving cables around and changing between various ones to elimate the cables being the issue. Lights were working fine connected to main controller and then when I got a new Ethernet cable, low and behold I got life. Guess the cable was on the fritz and once I changed that out, testing worked. Had me stumped as the cable was from the computer for internet usually.

Really appreciate all the help and expertise.

Thankyou.

Back