1. Hello Christmas Expo attendees, welcome to AusChristmasLighting!
    Download your copy of the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual (free account required)
    Introduce yourself and tell us about your display plans
  2. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

Newbie questions

Discussion in 'The Family Room' started by Sasquatch, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Sasquatch

Sasquatch New Elf

Hello,
    I have been reading all the info and think I know what I am going to do, I would like someone to confirm I am on the correct track.

I have 20 kmart led strings, which i want to remove the controllers from and run them as 2channels per string- hopefully as step one replicating the 8 functions of the original controllers, but with all of them together.

Can I do this with a tiger 48channel controller, the PC link and Vixen software?
    Can this style of controller do dimming?

Any advice would be great, I hope I posted this i the right section.

Kind regards,
    Sasquatch

2. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Dedicated Elf Administrator

Find Me On:
    Sasquatch

David-AVD's DC48 controller, Vixen and a supported DMX dongle will certainly achieve what you want, though you will go way past just replicating the original functions.

All current DC controllers do dimming, the non-dimming controller is largely a thing of the dark past.

Now to expand on the Supported DMX controller.
    Vixen has plug-ins for Enttec Open and Enttec Pro DMX dongles, these both appear as virtual serial com ports to Vixen.
    A number of DIY dongles have been done that are compatible. RJ's and RPM's Dongles emulate the PRO dongle, David_AVD has one that is an OPEN version.

Personally i think that buying a ECG-DR4 is a better option as you get 4 DMX Universes for maybe 2x the price of a single pro DMX dongle.

Cheers
    Phil

3. OP
    OP
    Sasquatch

Sasquatch New Elf

Thanks Phil,
    appreciate you taking the time, and so quickly.
    I will look into what you have suggested.