Newbie questions

Sasquatch

New elf
Hello,
I have been reading all the info and think I know what I am going to do, I would like someone to confirm I am on the correct track.

I have 20 kmart led strings, which i want to remove the controllers from and run them as 2channels per string- hopefully as step one replicating the 8 functions of the original controllers, but with all of them together.

Can I do this with a tiger 48channel controller, the PC link and Vixen software?
Can this style of controller do dimming?

Any advice would be great, I hope I posted this i the right section.

Kind regards,
Sasquatch

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Sasquatch

David-AVD's DC48 controller, Vixen and a supported DMX dongle will certainly achieve what you want, though you will go way past just replicating the original functions.

All current DC controllers do dimming, the non-dimming controller is largely a thing of the dark past.

Now to expand on the Supported DMX controller.
Vixen has plug-ins for Enttec Open and Enttec Pro DMX dongles, these both appear as virtual serial com ports to Vixen.
A number of DIY dongles have been done that are compatible. RJ's and RPM's Dongles emulate the PRO dongle, David_AVD has one that is an OPEN version.

Personally i think that buying a ECG-DR4 is a better option as you get 4 DMX Universes for maybe 2x the price of a single pro DMX dongle.

Cheers
Phil

Sasquatch

New elf
Thanks Phil,
appreciate you taking the time, and so quickly.
I will look into what you have suggested.