Newbie saying Hello

Mike Wurlitzer

New elf
Been following lighting systems for some time and now that I am retired I would like to combine them with my other hobby, Pipe Organs and VTPO (virtual theater pipe organs) which can generate both MIDI and MP3 files.

My first project will be an indoor MEGA Tree as I have 30' ceilings in my house and I can use this to get my feet wet in this hobby and eventually move the tree outdoors.

I am already very confused as the the number of pixels/meter for a good looking mega tree. I believe DMX will be my controller of choice but as nothing has been purchased as of yet I am open for suggestion.

Hope to have as much fun as you all seem to be having.

Mike

nzlongfellow

Dennis from NZ
Welcome to ACL Mike. 30ft ceilings WOW.... :D . Hope it's warm where you are.
Make sure you head off to the LEARNING CENTER in the FORUMS page. A very good place to start.

DMX is for static lights and dumb RGB's.

You may be a little late with getting supplies from China but certainly read and ask as there is a wealth of knowledge on this site and from the ppl you meet.

Also add yourself to the location map so we can see where you're from.

Bird

LOR user
Welcome.gif

to ACL Mike

First the disclaimer
Joining these forums and entering the chat room can give you CLAP!!! :D
Christmas Lighting Addiction Problem

If you haven't found it yet, the new revised 2nd addition AusChristmasLighting 101 manual is a great resource

And I guess someone has to ask so let it be me ... :D
Your OTHER hobby and last name .. coincidence or connection?

gerry

Senior elf
Welcome Mike,

I think that you may be too late in the year to get stuff up and running for this Christmas, but you could still plan , ask questions and may be get going with software, one controller and some lights to get a feel.

Alternatively , you may wish to utilise a controller with static lights on your tree (if you already have them) and extend to pixels next year.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to the forum, lots of great freindly advice. Its a steep learning curve at first but it does get easier with time