Newbie starting from scratch!

Ben G

New elf
I'm looking to start my Christmas lighting journey from scratch! I bought a square block house with a rendered concrete brick facade and I need advice on how to start with an outline of addressable LEDs (in future years I will add more props).

I need 33 meters of horizontal lines (10 + 10 + 5 + 4 + 4), 8m of vertical lines (4 + 4), and everything must be attached to rendered concrete bricks (there is nothing to hang things from).

Would LOVE advice from anyone who knows how they would do this from scratch, including:
1. recommended pixel density (per linear meter)
2. string or strip?
3. pixel type (ws2811? ws2812b?)
4. temporary mounting method for horizontal & vertical lines (Boscoyo strips? Chromatrim? PVC pipe? Removable mounting clips that can attach to a screw?)
5. Controller (Will the Falcon F16V3 work in Australia where we have 220-240V power?)
6. power injection (whether I need it and what to buy?)
7. best places to buy all the above?
8. anything else I should know?

Thanks!
Ben

Katekate

Senior elf

2" spacing is common

2. string or strip?

friends dont let friends use strip

ws281x is all the same protocol.

ws2811 is an IC commonly used in bullet pixels. ws2812b is a led with integrated IC common in strip.
4. temporary mounting method for horizontal & vertical lines (Boscoyo strips? Chromatrim? PVC pipe? Removable mounting clips that can attach to a screw?)

I use chromatrim for horizontals and strip for verticals.

5. Controller (Will the Falcon F16V3 work in Australia where we have 220-240V power?)

Falcon F16V3 has no mains power inputs. If you are shopping for a new controller F16v5 just came out, only think about a v3 if you are shopping second hand.

Best answer I can give you is "It depends"

Here is a few stores to get you started.

Thanks!
Ben

Read everything. Don't try to do too much your first year (especially starting this late) Don't stress if it doesn't work out.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Hi Ben,

Welcome to ACL.
Grab a copy of the 101 Manual if you already havent already, it'll give you pointers on the right way to go.
To address your questions:

Depends on the look you're going for. My house outlines are either 30/m strip, 50mm spaced drilled conduit, or 75mm spaced drilled conduit

2. string or strip?
Bullets easier to work with when it comes to repairs and more reliable, however strip in a location that isn't physically moved is pretty good

2812b is a ws2811 chip and LED in a single package. They all use the same protocol. WS281x series are relatively equivalent, voltage and RGB/RGBW aside.

Good question.

Yep. The F16v3/4/5's all run off either 5V or 7-13V DC. Your power supply will determine the mains voltage. Many people use and recommend Falcon controllers.

Depends on the voltage, what brightness you intend to run at and pixel counts. Topology will drive this.

There are many Chinese vendors that are the direct manufacturers or representatives thereof that can do it, and there are places like https://www.lightitupleds-xmas.com.au/ in Australia who handle all the international stuff if you prefer to buy locally.

Plenty, and nothing :) I am sure someone else will chime in here.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf7uLhUObAk