Newbie to RGB! Having trouble getting started

ehgilman

New elf
My name is Eric and I am a Synchronized light a halic. I have purchased my first RGB lights and can't seem to get started. There seems to be very little info on getting everything configured so I can start sequencing. I will give a good look here before I start asking too many questions. I am looking forward to learning and sharing. Happy lighting every one.

kel

Dedicated elf
welcome47.gif

gerry

Senior elf
Hi,

Welcome to ACL. As above , do read the guide - its excellent. there are also a few other presentations that folks have done - these are pinned to the appropriate sub forum.

Then pick two things that you would like to stat off with to have and ask any questions . Lots of great help on this forum.

B_P_J

Full time elf
Hey there,
Welcome to ACL, you have come to the right place, everyone here has been nothing but amazing when it comes to little problems along the way, this year was my first year doing any light sequencing and boy it was fun, i cant wait for Christmas 2015,
As the other guys have pointed out to read the 101 Manual i would say to do that, its an amazing resource and i should be using it more lol
Couple of questions for you though:
1) Are the RGB lights you got Pixels/Smart (e.g. they have an IC, depending on which ones this could be 1IC per 1LED or maybe 1IC per 3LED's) or are they Dumb RGB strips (the whole length consists of 3 Channels {Channel 1 = Red, Channel 2 = Green, Channel 3 = Blue}),
2) What Sequencing software are you using? i use Vixen 3, (it was free and does everything i need for now) others will say LightShow Pro, Nutcracker/Xlights, etc but it all comes down to personal preference and how you feel about the software, i would recommend downloading each and giving them ago, LightShow Pro demo doesn't allow for any light Outputs to work so be mindful of that if your trying to test the lights.
I may not know everything you ask but i can surely try to help out where i can, Otherwise enjoy your time here on ACL, and i hope you get the answers your looking for.
Brad

Benslights

Dedicated elf
hi eric welcome to ACl

what lights did you get??
what controller???
what sequencer??

then we can head you in the right direction

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL, as already mentioned just state the light type you have and the controller and software you are using and generally you can get some help as many times its a simple fix