Newish. Need help learning how to sequence.

tonybiviano

New elf
I'm trying to teach myself how to sequence but I suck at figuring it out on my own. I'm hoping that you can help me find the best video that taught you or that you think explains it well. I'm very intimidated and hopefully someone has made a video explaining it

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
Newish? Member since 2015 lol.. You might want to let people know what software you're using so they can point you in the right direction. With Xlights and the QM Vamp plugins beats and bars timing tracks gets you off to a good start. You really need to learn the software.

tonybiviano

New elf
Newish? Member since 2015 lol.. You might want to let people know what software you're using so they can point you in the right direction. With Xlights and the QM Vamp plugins beats and bars timing tracks gets you off to a good start. You really need to learn the software.
Truth I joined back then. Should've been more specific that I'm newish to xlights. I'm trying to learn how to sequence xlights since I just switched to pixels.

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
There are countless videos at Xlights.org. I imagine I had watched 20+ hours of videos and 40+ hours of learning the software before it started to click. Its a steep learning curve especially if you're trying to unlearn LOR

TerryK

Retired Elf
There are sources for pre-programmed sequences but even that route requires the tweaking of those sequences to fit your display design. Your best option as others have mentioned is to learn the software. xLights has so many features that a single video would not, could not contain a good explanation of all its capability. xLights.org or youtube are the 2 best video sources I have found.

I suggest watching a video accompanied with a computer running xLights (pixel hardware not necessary) and as something is described, pause the video and replicate the video keystrokes in your running xLights. If your results differ from the video, rewind a bit and try again.

bpratt

Senior elf
It's not always that easy to pick stuff, but what I suggest is that you go and grab someone else's sequences, and trying to import them in to your display.

Over time you can dig in to what they've done, and then learn bits and pieces from that.

Gee Family Light Show

Emma- Light Em Up Sequences
Watch as many youtube videos as you can, and sometimes the best way to learn is to just sit down on xlights and have a play around with all the effects and what they do... Remember to start simple...