Next adventure...

ICon

New elf
Hi from Auckland NZ, about 7 years ago I used to put strings of lights and icicles from the the local hardware on the house. Various other activities got in the way and this stopped. Last year we had a neighbour decorate their house and something stirred.

This year I dragged out the strings we had and put them on the house, as well as buying a couple of led strips from AliExpress - not expecting to get them up this year.

I got them up - mounted on conduit giving a simple outline of the end of the house. Connected to a cheap controller from AliExpress in demo mode they flash, chase...

The adventure has continued with having a play with arduino control, finding the limits quite quickly. Building a small matrix (30x9) and playing with arduino, gladiator... reading, YouTube ....

The next step has been to play with xlights - the matrix is now attached to an ESP8266 with wled flashed to it and receiving sequences over wifi. (Already had arduino, ESP8266 from last obsessive project - building 3D printers)

Next year we will have a display of some sort up and running, big thanks to those that contributed to ACL101, it is a great resource.

It’s been less than two months since the first led strip purchase, and I think I am hooked.

kevr

Full time elf
Generous elf
Hi Icon, welcome to the group. There are a few Kiwis popping up now so help is not too far away, there are others in Auckland so some are nearby.

There is quite a bit of discussion about strip on the forum, I would have a read and see what others have to say before I ordered anymore if I was you. I used strip this year on my roof and was very happy with the look but I am starting to have failures already so it looks like I'll be going back to strings.

I recommend that you get into the software first, read plenty and then start spending later on (controllers, pixels, connectors etc) don't buy hardware first.

Cheers Kev

ICon

New elf
Thanks Kev,

I have been having a good read about strip, and it is clear that a number of people are having reliability issues. Do you know what has caused the failures you are seeing? I have always found the need to understand what has gone wrong and why, as that is how we improve the way we do things. I am not about to invest heavily in anything at the moment, and have actually got a couple of samples of pixel strings on the way.

I learn faster through buying some parts and learning as I go. There is way to much information to take in and my path is being mapped out as I experiment. Part of the challenge is to take the rest of the family along with me, and having something tangible does that.

Computer hardware/software is the easy bit for me, being fluent in Linux, arduino, raspberry pi, networking and programming means I can hack something together pretty quickly. Xlights is awesome though and there is little need to write code there. Still there are so many choices, protocols, voltages, pixels.... investing a little to understand fully what it’s about works for me. If it was just a simple step by-step then it would not hold my interest.

Cheers