Nodemcu or espixelstick to run Permanent lights

Srmorgan

Full time elf
Hello everyone. This will be my first year venturing into The world computer controlled lighting. This site is amazing. It’s incredible that there are so many people with the same obsession that support one another. I think I have the Christmas lights handled for now. I’ve already purchased a falcon f16v4, 5v and 12v ws2811 pixels, multi port wireless router and psu’s. I’ve also downloaded xlights and been learning how to use it. I also plan on buying some diff smart receivers to run some of the different sections of the house. The part I’m having trouble with is deciding how to set up and run the permanent lights.

I am going to install 12v ws2811 nodes under my soffit using j-channel to mount them. There will be a line of them under my garage and house rooflines, and under the windows on front of the house. The problems that I’m trying to plan for are:

1. Because they are in different sections, they cannot be a continuous line. I also don’t want to have wires visible running all over the front of the house.
2. I also wanted to use an app to control the permanent lights so the wife and kids can have fun with them without having to learn xlights to do it.
3. I want to be able to integrate these lights into the Christmas show. I will add additional lights for Christmas to get the whole house.
4. I want to start making a smart home so having them controllable by Amazon Alexa would be cool.

I thought I had it mostly figured out, but I keep finding new things to solve the problems and cant decide the best way to do it.

I recently watched the video by Dr. ZZ about how he set up and controlled his lights and that looks like a good solution. Cheap to. But are the nodemcu’s able to be controlled by xlights and the falcon controller?

I also learned about the espixelsticks at about the same time. I believe they are controllable by xlights. But is there and app that can control them. I have read both yes and no on the internet about installing WLED on them and controlling them that way. But if I did that would I then have to reflash them at Christmas time to be able to use them in the Christmas show.

There is also some controllers on btf-lighting that I think can do everything but work with xlights. I figure I could just put a smart diff receiver with it in the enclosure and switch them over at Christmas. Any opinions on the best way to do this would be great. I’m sure there are aspects I don’t know about or haven’t thought of yet. Thanks ahead of time.

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
I recently watched the video by Dr. ZZ about how he set up and controlled his lights and that looks like a good solution. Cheap to. But are the nodemcu’s able to be controlled by xlights and the falcon controller?
xLights will send simultaneously to the Falcon and WLED. You set them as two separate controllers.

I also learned about the espixelsticks at about the same time. I believe they are controllable by xlights. But is there and app that can control them. I have read both yes and no on the internet about installing WLED on them and controlling them that way. But if I did that would I then have to reflash them at Christmas time to be able to use them in the Christmas show.
As far as I've seen, this 'WLED' will accept E1.31 and it's own app for control.
Receiving data seems to take priority over the app.

There is also some controllers on btf-lighting that I think can do everything but work with xlights. I figure I could just put a smart diff receiver with it in the enclosure
Ummm....? What is this controller?

Srmorgan

Full time elf
I just happened to go looking for j channel at my local hardware store and saw that they were cleaning out the old channel for a new model. So I bought enough for the whole house for $1 per 11’ section. Saved me like $300.