Noise on 2811 strip

randallr

New elf
After 2 weeks of perfect performance, after last nights show one of my windows with WS2811 strips started flickering (looked like twinkle). We were having windy evening with cold front. Turned off power till this evening, but it's still there. It has a about 8 inches of wire from P2 controller (ground and data only). Power leads go to each of two strips.

I noticed that handling the data wire seemed to stop it. Made a new wire to connect with. Still the same. I thought it might be some noise, so I tried wrapping foil around the data wire.
As long as I touch the foil with my body, it stops, and immediately starts again when I let go.
The windows are on a covered porch, and the strips are attached with small pieces of duct tape to the alum window frame. It's being caused in the first strip, as it happens even when the second strip is disconnected.

Any suggestions?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I had an element that was using 6803 modules through a CCR controller that worked perfectly last year and in initial testing. But then it started to freeze and not work, i tried a new security cable but this made no difference. I then changed out the data lines in the security cable and used CAT6 cable instead, the element has now worked perfectly. I wonder if there is an issue with the first IC becoming a bit weak and flakey.

burner

Full time elf
I have a feeling the first pixel is damaged and needs to be repaced. I've had this 3 times so far, when an all white creates a flicker, almost like the data gets through, but when there is too much data it fails. Mostly I would blame the weight on the plugs I was soldering on from Ray Wu, I think it pulls at the thin curcuit ribbon and eventually causes it to split horizontally between the soldering joins.

randallr

New elf
This one actually did this in early testing. I took strip down and replaced, and the replacement did it. I took it all to my test bench, and both sets worked fine. Put it back up, and it's ran fine since Thanksgiving.. Very odd.
I plan to take apart tomorrow and try to track it down.

Again though, if I am touching the foil wrapped around the data wire, all of the pizels work fine. As I begin to let go, the signal corrupts.

yzguy96

Full time elf
I finally got my lights up too and experienced weird things with my strip...first I couldn't control them until I changed my speed to 1800 on my p2. Now I see "noise" when the lights should be off there is a quick flicker of multicolor that shoots through the line. It was late so couldn't troubleshoot.

ShellNZ

Senior elf
My TM1812 strip is doing that too yz, multicolor flickering when they should be off.

It looks pretty cool so I have left it, lol. I think a change in speed might fix it, might give it a try tonight and see what happens.....then change it back to flickering again :D

yzguy96

Full time elf
ok, right now i am passing my voltage in the same wire with my data using 14 gauge speaker wire...think there is some noise be using the same wire and I should seperate it using a shielded cable? dunno if i have time this year to try it since i just got them semi working last night lol

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Try changing your data wire and use a cat 5 or 6 cable if your trying for a long distance as this is designed to carry a signal

yzguy96

Full time elf
OK it may need to wait til next yr cause I soldered the wire in my extension cords I made

randallr

New elf
Strange- I turned it back on this afternoon. Started flickering. I plugged it back into P2, and flickering started disappearing. After about 10 seconds it was all clear and appears to be back to normal.
My guess would be that some moisture maybe got into strip. But why it would go away when I'd hold the data wire is the lingering question.

yzguy96

Full time elf
I had everything working fine until the wife told me to move everything in the basement. I drilled an access point into my house to feed the cables and hooked everything back up. everything on the first power supply is working fine but on the second power supply it seems to be acting funny...if i make it any color it makes a twinkle affect flickering different colors...i am using the same cable so would it still be a voltage issue?