Noob. Need AC replacement for solar for 1000 LED 100m Lytworx

golfimbulldogg

New elf
Sorry I have tried to read around a bit but can't seem to make any traction. I even bought one of these: https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B0BP68NYKT?starsLeft=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_cso_wa_apin_dp_QT4BEAC0FVXXTKHXDWKV

But no good. There are a LOT of other models from the same manufacturer though that MAY be OK.

I bought a 1000 LED 100m string of warm white LEDs from Bunnings a few years ago. The solar powered part was not intended but I strung them anyway. Of course now the panel isn't charging the batteries (proven by charging them in an external charger, the light string then worked!). https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1956427...1ApEccsQdDcKpdz7dL7BKpkf97Uj4M9xoCRQgQAvD_BwE

That's the exact model. I'm hoping the return the Amazon power plug for the right one. What is appropriate? The panel has 3 x AA NiMh batteries in it if that helps. I don't need twinkling etc, just want a timer so they come on at night in a steady state.

Thanks in advance!

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
Standard 31v 12W AC output christmas lighting adapter will do the trick for those solar lights. I've modified hundreds of sets (solar sucks lol)
Edit: AC because they'll be 2 wire type, if you use the adapter you linked they will fail or will not work right because
1: voltage is too high on the output, 40V
2: power rating is too low, 12w minimum
3: The adapter output is DC

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
3xAA would peak at 4.5v

5v is probably fine.
The solar panel lights that contain 3 batteries often have a boost circuit to bring the light string up to around 26V AC, which causes the entire set to run dimly. The light string is a standard plug-in string minus the plug part, and instead has the solar panel.
Single cell solar panel lights are usually only 3-4v output

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
The solar panel lights that contain 3 batteries often have a boost circuit to bring the light string up to around 26V AC, which causes the entire set to run dimly. The light string is a standard plug-in string minus the plug part, and instead has the solar panel.
Single cell solar panel lights are usually only 3-4v output
This caught me out for some solar rope light. Solar panel has 3x1.5v batteries (4.5v) but the output was 70v unloaded. Around 20v with the lights attached.

I don't need twinkling etc, just want a timer so they come on at night in a steady state.
This can make it tricky with today's cheap-ness of lights. Lights with a multifunction controller (MFC) typically reverse the polarity (positive+ / negative-) very fast to make each section of lights turn on/off. To by-pass this you would need to make an H-bridge with very fast switching constantly.

golfimbulldogg

New elf
Standard 31v 12W AC output christmas lighting adapter will do the trick for those solar lights. I've modified hundreds of sets (solar sucks lol)
Edit: AC because they'll be 2 wire type, if you use the adapter you linked they will fail or will not work right because
1: voltage is too high on the output, 40V
2: power rating is too low, 12w minimum
3: The adapter output is DC

would this be OK?

Thanks for the help!!

Do you think I’ve blown them using the adapter I linked? I really hope not…

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
would this be OK?

Thanks for the help!!

Do you think I’ve blown them using the adapter I linked? I really hope not…
That one appears to be DC output according to it's specs. Unlikely to work but they may very well be confusing "DC" for the "AC" that it actually does output, as the polarity swaps to light up the LED's as their polarity in the wiring swaps every led to to give the "twinkle" or "chase" type effect.

golfimbulldogg

New elf
Thanks again for replying. Would you possibly be able to link something that would definitely work? I’m really confused

That plug is correct for my set. It slid right on and screwed tight. Didn’t work was the only problem!

Great news, I charged the batteries and the lights are working still. Phew

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
The plug will fit, however it needs to be the correct voltage. You may need to measure the output to your LED string while the string is connected, I suspect you will see something around 26V AC.
I can't suggest anything as I don't use Amazon, and have never had luck finding replacement plugs for those units here, and typically tend to attach the lights to big controllers anyway.

golfimbulldogg

New elf
The plug will fit, however it needs to be the correct voltage. You may need to measure the output to your LED string while the string is connected, I suspect you will see something around 26V AC.
I can't suggest anything as I don't use Amazon, and have never had luck finding replacement plugs for those units here, and typically tend to attach the lights to big controllers anyway.
That all sounds beyond me. Perhaps this: https://amzn.asia/d/8JICUol

Seems a clunky workaround though

golfimbulldogg

New elf
That would probably not be a good idea, you would need to disconnect the solar panel to avoid backfeeding a usb power source during the day.
Is this pic any help?

I could cover the solar panel (which isn’t working in any case)

Attachments

• IMG_2548.jpeg
    IMG_2548.jpeg
    821.7 KB · Views: 7