Null Pixel assignment

Kaite

New elf
Hi can someone please confirm how to assign a null pixel in xlights.
I have an Advatek Pixlite 16 controller, and I have read from forums that I need fit the null pixels,
at the front on the prop between the controller and first pixel.
Also how do you fit null to 5050 LED strip.
Thankyou

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
If your Advatek is defined in xLights as a Pixlite 16, xLights now knows it's limited and allows for null-pixels.
1695279056352.png

and once the prop is on a port of the controller, using visualiser:
1695279137574.png

Then you can set the model's start null-pixels in the layout tab:
'Start' means before the model's pixel lights that are being used.
1695279125666.png

For clarification:
A null pixel is using a standard pixel and telling xLights/controller that it will not ever be lit up.
This is different to a pixel data amplifier, such as the Falcon 'F-Amp' or Hanson Electronics 'Null pixel buffer'. These other types mentioned do not need to be defined.

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
Thanks for info.
Would you recommend "buffer" over null pixel ?
Most pixel data buffers can amplify the data a lot more than using a standard pixel as a null. So longer cable distances.
Pixel data buffers also do not need to be setup, xLights nor Advatek needs to know about their existence.

Null pixels if you do not have or do not want to buy the pixel data amplifiers.
I would buy them for the ease of setup (soldered in, or plugged in) and the longer cable distances.

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
Hi can someone please confirm how to assign a null pixel in xlights.
I have an Advatek Pixlite 16 controller, and I have read from forums that I need fit the null pixels,
at the front on the prop between the controller and first pixel.
Also how do you fit null to 5050 LED strip.
Thankyou
If I may, what is the NEED for a null pixel? yes, there are reasons to use them but just reading about it doesn't mean it is so. It's a good idea to have some on hand for when needed but that is normally after the prop has beenw ired and if odd things are happening.

I guess the short answer is don't assume you need a null pixel until after testing in real life. Good to have and plan for just might not really be needed.