Oh Hai! From Adelaide, South Australia

anon

Apprentice elf
Hi All,

Firstly let me say from my readings of posts and the setup of the wiki, this by far is the most organised and civilised forum/community. Before researching lighting options, I had thoughts of writing my own sequencing software, designing lighting controllers/hardware and the definition of interfaces there in. It's good to see some very bright minds have already done the hardwork and putting it all back into the community. :)

So to set the scene, this....err...last year I came across Big W LEDs. Always wanting to put up some lights but balking at the cost, finally there were some within the price range of what looked to be reasonable quality. 2x warm white icicles went on the gutter and 3x warm white strings went around the trees. Cheap Big W rope lights also went in the window. It had graceful, simplistic blinky charm. That turned to head lowering shame after walking around the 'hood Christmas Eve and seeing some more enthusiastic (although uncontrolled) displays. Naturally, this meant LED war.

The first salvo was fired in the post Christmas sales, lining up for the door opening of Big W and filling my and my girlfriends arms with what we could grab of $10 starter kits. Without too much violence, we walked away with 7 starter kits and star LED rope lights, doubling the LED body count for the next year.

So my research on how to control the lighting has led me here and have been trolling through the great information over the holiday break and have spread sheeted a design (as well as designed it in Light Show Pro). I'll be making use of the LSP half price deal to drive it all, and have an ebay 6803 RGB strip (w/ stock standard super fun controller) on the way for assessment (for one offs Ray Wu was a bit expensive, but quantities will most likely be sourced from him). This is shaping up to great project for the next 12 months to kick it off what will be a display built on each year. I'm very much looking forward to learning from everyone's experience and idea's and god willing, having something to put back into the community :)

This LED war will be the war to end all LED wars. Hopefully it will lead to something of an LED arms race in the street.

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
Hi,

Good to see another Adeladian! Where abouts are you from? As it stands at the moment most of the animated displays are in the north of the city.

You may very well be the first in Adelaide to use LSP and intelligent 6803 rgb strip (excluding the LOR CCR version) as well.

Feel free to pop into the chat room if you've got questions needing answers, as there's usually someone around that will try and give an answer.

There's an expression of interest going for an Adelaide-based get-together learning event, otherwise known as a "mini" (the name comes from the USA). So nominate some preferred dates that fit your schedule (events would likely be in May, June or July), list some topics you want to learn about and/or topics you could teach to others. There's a topic about the gathering at http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,1080.0.html

Welcome to ACL.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL. Sounds like you have big plans for 2012 so feel free to ask questions and jump into the chat room lots of great help here. Many of last years newbies are this years mentors and the more that get involved in this hobby and give back the better for all of us.

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL Anon, Glad to see you have self navigated thru the Forum and the wiki to source some information and ideas. I lot of effort from everyone as a community is put into this Forum to make it one of the best out there.

Be sure to pop into chat if there is something your not to sure about and there is usually someone in there that can help.

Good Luck with your Display this year.

Bird

LOR user
17.gif

to ACL

anon said:
This LED war will be the war to end all LED wars. Hopefully it will lead to something of an LED arms race in the street.
Well you should be able to get plenty of ammo here for your battle ahead. :D

As you have already seen there is lots of information in the forums and Wiki. If you can't find what your looking for ... post a question in the forums or jump in the chat room and ask. Lots of friendly people here that will answer your question or point you in the right direction for the answer.
FYI - There are no silly questions here.

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
Bird said:
FYI - There are no silly questions here.

Ahh but there is just one silly question, I may as well make it obvious now. There's no point asking for a cure for wild and highly contagious colourful (see what I did there) condition known as CLAP, for there. is. no. cure. What's CLAP? I'm afraid you'll have to come into the chat and see! :eek: :D .

PS. You've got it! ;) and so do I. And so does the poster below me (pending).