Olivevale Christmas 2012 - Test Run

logandc99

Dedicated elf
BenGus said:
Ah cheers for that. I've been making my own mixture using rainwater, isocol and space-time bubble bath and it works really well but I was worried about clogging. What about running CLR through it once a week/month?

Wow, interesting sounding mixture!
Yeah, I think it just needs to be flushed through once at the end of the season of use which I stupidly didn't do. Might try your suggestion of CLR or something equivalent. The only problem with the snow machines is that they sound like a small jet engine taking off when being run! But the kids still love it.
The bubble machine is so much more discrete :)

garyh

New elf
Display looks really nice and professional, great job!

We use the Gopro's on top fuel dragsters and dyno runs and they do an awesome job. The one thing I personally like to do to get rid of the fish eye is using Adobe Premiere or After Effects to remove the fish eye look--that way it looks flat. They are awesome cameras and thanks for sharing your display!

Merry Christmas!

Robbo

Full time elf
awesome work.....love the spiral trees, would be interested to know how you put those together, I have 10 rgb dumb strips I need to use, and thinking of doing spiral trees like yours....10 of them, unless I think of another use for the dumb strip, my 2012 plans have gone out the window and making way for smart strip next year :)

BenGus

New elf
Robbo said:
awesome work.....love the spiral trees, would be interested to know how you put those together, I have 10 rgb dumb strips I need to use, and thinking of doing spiral trees like yours....10 of them, unless I think of another use for the dumb strip, my 2012 plans have gone out the window and making way for smart strip next year :)

Thanks all! We found out this morning that we won an encouragement award in the 4KQ Christmas Lights comp, so really happy!

Re the spiral trees, they are really simple. I bought the cheapest rope light spiral trees from Deals direct and then stripped all the rope off (and re-purposed to my LOR controller). Each tree uses about 8m of dumb strip and you need to inject power at both ends and also at the join to keep the colour uniform. I used clear zip ties to secure the strip to the plastic spiral frame and they are holding up really well. A generous amount of silicone and heat stripping (wrapped in electrical tape as an extra precaution) also allows them to run in the wet. They certainly are a hit, I get a lot of comments about how bright they are etc. Because they are wrapped all the way around, they also light our garage banner which is handy because otherwise you don't see it at night.

I can take some photos etc if you like, just drop me a PM.

drakky

Senior elf
I have seen this setup live it looks great , Ben has generously offered to show me his setup which I'm hoping to do shortly, the gingerbread man is so awesome , might have to "borrow" that idea Ben :)

kel

Dedicated elf
work9.gif