One Faulty CCR Section - Red LED's Only

talk2coxie

Full time elf
[font=]
I’ve recently fired up a 5 metre length of CCR strip (compliments of the Melbourne Mini in a lucky door prize) in a DMX universe using a CAT5 cross over cable and it has been working well so far with simple test sequences I’ve put together.

However upon testing each section thoroughly, I’ve found the 3rd LED section is faulty.

The three red LED’s don’t work in the 3rd section but the green and blue are ok as is the red rest of the strip with all colours in all sections.

Just wondering if anyone has a similar issue with CCR strip and if there is any fix besides removing the entire (3 LED) section.

Cheers, Coxie
[/font]

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
I had a similar problem with mine after i bent it a bit to much. One whole section of the LED's wouldn't work.

It turned out to be a broken joint , however getting to it to fix it would probably be more messy then replacing the section.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
As Steve said, it's probably a cracked solder joint. It could be on one of the LEDs, a resistor or even the chip.

If you can identify the cracked joint, you may be able to cut a small hole in the casing, resolder it and use clear heatshrink (and silicone?) to repair the hole.

Dennis Cherry

New elf
David_AVD said:
As Steve said, it's probably a cracked solder joint. It could be on one of the LEDs, a resistor or even the chip.

If you can identify the cracked joint, you may be able to cut a small hole in the casing, resolder it and use clear heatshrink (and silicone?) to repair the hole.

Last year this is what happened to one of my CCR's, was already mounted and had no replacement CCR.

I turned on the defective section colors and poked the ribbon with a pencil around the resistors. When I found the point where poking the ribbon would turn on the LED's I would mark it with a small piece of tape.

Make sure you have power turned off.

Using an Exacto knife I cut a small window flap in the outer coating around the resistor, just large enough to be able to solder both ends of the resistor and tape the flap out of the way.

Turn on the Ribbon again and touch one solder joint and see if the LED's come on, if not try the other side of the resistor. Once you know which joint you touch will light the LED's, turn the power off and solder the resistor jont in my case. Re test again and this time move the ribbon slightly to make sure the LED's do not turn OFF and ON due to another bad solder joint.

In the CCR kit, there is a small tube of sealer and can be used to re-seal the opening again.

Had no other problems the rest of the season.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Ive pretty much done the same thing as what Dennis has done, works a treat

edit: If you need help fixing it then im happy to help you out

talk2coxie

Full time elf
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your ideas and posts. I've attempted to find the faulty piece of hardware but without any luck. If i find time I'll probably just have to remove it as the section didn't seem to turn on with quite amount of poking and prodding.

Mind you I don't have too much electrical experience and aren't really sure what to look for :-(