Options Besides Technicolor?

kwarner04

New elf
Hello Everyone! Long time listener, first time caller here.

This year, I'm going to be switching out all of my LED C9 lights with RGB. The wife is ok with it and has even signed off on a budget, with the only requirement that it still look like traditional lights on the roof.

When looking at Ray's store, as far as I can tell, the only option that has the C9/C7 bulb covers are the technicolor pixels. But it sounds like a number of folks have had real issues with the technicolor pixels going out.

Does anyone know of any other option that could still take a C9/C7 cover that is still RGB and I could control?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Minleon would be your best choice for high quality C9 lighting that has proven commercial quality, but this is not DIY so this will cost a bit more.

If your in the US then Ron d would be the man to talk to regarding Minleon lighting

arw01

Full time elf
I bought 900 Minleon pixels for testing and eventual placement on my "mega tree" for the season. I was late getting them up on the 55' tall tree in front of the house, but not a SINGLE Minleon failure unlike those technicolors that have failed for many 2 designs in a row.

As Eddy said they are not cheap like Ray, or even Pixabulbs, but they just work, are UV protected in the wires, look FABULOUS. Grimace once, and not have to worry about them for years.

I am ordering custom length 6" spacing strings for my gutters to point them straight up.

Ron's your goto guy here in the States for diy Minleon, he does some massive commercial displays as well so knows his stuff.

drop me a pm if you want to chat or lower your learning curve.

Gilrock

Full time elf
My complaint about the Minleon stuff is the websites are terrible for trying to figure out anything about the pixels. The minleonusa website doesn't even really show any products. On the au site I can see some of the products but I don't want to communicate over email to figure out the cost and specs. The first thing I see is it telling me to select a controller and I'm like what? I have my own controllers. Are you stuck using theirs? What type of chip do the pixels have in them? All questions the casual website browser wants to know aren't there so I just move along.

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
Gilrock said:
My complaint about the Minleon stuff is the websites are terrible for trying to figure out anything about the pixels.

I totally agree, and it's something that has been brought up to them a few times. I wanted to browse the controllers and half were not listed and the rest had limited info.

These days I don't know about the average person but I personally google the company and then view their website to get info on their products. If their website is poor I'll move on to another supplier

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
I also have to agree that the site is a turn off for me as well. I look at the suppliers site first to see about products and it just gives me a somewhat "warning feeling" about the product.
I think that it is one of the big reasons that J1Sys stuff has troubles too.

Just hard to get enthused about a product when you can't get just basic information off a site that is trying to sell you the stuff.
At least to me, the attention to making the information available on a site tells me that the manufacturer or supplier is really working on their product(s) and wants to do business. Just my 2 cents anyway. :eek:

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Gilrock said:
My complaint about the Minleon stuff is the websites are terrible for trying to figure out anything about the pixels. The minleonusa website doesn't even really show any products. On the au site I can see some of the products but I don't want to communicate over email to figure out the cost and specs. The first thing I see is it telling me to select a controller and I'm like what? I have my own controllers. Are you stuck using theirs? What type of chip do the pixels have in them? All questions the casual website browser wants to know aren't there so I just move along.

The reason why we do not have pricing on our website is because we are a distributor and thus generally do not promote to end users. But we will sell to end users on request if they decide they want a commercial high quality lighting system.

Minleon is not a DIY product and thus we do not focus on this market because a DIY market is more concious about cost rather than quality in most cases so our products are generally not a suitable fit within this market and could never compete on a price basis.

But i will say that we do list a comprehensive range of our product on our website including instruction manuals, pictures and diagrams and the only information you dont get is the pricing because we are about the service. Every system is different, so we do take the time to discuss and listen to the needs of our clients because most do not have the time to spend learning about how to use this technology, they just want the results.

This approach is not what a DIYer wants but this approach is something a sub distributor, commercial company or a novice requires who dont want to know the ins and outs of a system, they just want to know the end cost and what they are getting for it.

So this explains why you dont get the answers you seek from the Minleon website and is no different to any other buisness out there that run this model.

So if your interested in a commercial high quality Minleon product then feel free to contact us and we will be glad to help the old fashioned way and that is with a real person with real service. :D

Cheers

mborg10

Michael Borg
The big difference between Minleon and j1sys is Minleon controllers and lights are not DIY and are of commercial grade quality. We in the DIY side of things want to know every ins and outs of a controller and hardware so we can adapt and modify to suit ourselves.

On a commercial side of things the end consumer generally a marketing person, business owner or home owner does not want to know specs they are more concerned with end product and for this custom designed solutions are best left up to a designer.

I myself use Minleon lights and controllers on all my customers houses. I use them because they are of high quality commercial grade and waterproof construction. Lights and controllers work together perfectly in a combined package without any modifications.

arw01

Full time elf
+1 on the poor quality of the Minleon site in the United States, and on their follow up, response to questions, lack of response to email and few other complaints. I sent 3 emails to Dean on two different address's and NEVER got a response.

Now for the State side folks, Ron as been setting up a site with some pricing and information for a few months. I've bought nearly all my Minleon from him as he supports it, understands it, and backs it. He also has a day job installing large commercial (read WAY more than our combined budgets) and an event lighting business so he knows floods better than anyone I have come across if you are looking for those too.

Anyone want to get ahold of him or check out his site, drop me a pm as it's not Minelon's distributors intention to hock their product all over the diy boards. That will be left to the diy vendors.

if someone has questions on Minleon I may know some of it as I'm a few months ahead and used them this season.

The question on the chip is TLS3001, San Devices will run them fine if you have E682 and that family. The Minelon controllers are actually, LESS MONEY than the San Devices, and they have a 16 output controller that will run WS2811 pixels and their clones.

Alan

Gilrock

Full time elf
Can I run the controllers with the E1.31 data from my FPP? Cause if not I can stop thinking about them.

arw01

Full time elf
Gilrock said:
Can I run the controllers with the E1.31 data from my FPP? Cause if not I can stop thinking about them.

Art-net is on the FPP to do list, so yes at some point you can call them from the FPP, and DDP will be coming along sometime too, maybe do away with all that universe non-sense.