P12 R Power usage

dannyp

Full time elf
I cant find any information on whether it is possible to run multiple P12r units (with only the data connected ie no power to the pixels) daisy chained from a 350w power supply. I don't know how much power the board would consume under this configuration and I was wanting to simply connect up to 6 or 7 of them from the 1 power supply.

Is this possible or even wise to do?

Benslights

Dedicated elf
Danny why would you want to do that??

each output is fused and really the best way to start the power into your pixels.

is it to do with your layout?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
You can use a P12R without the power output, instead just connect up like a P2 controller where you only send the data and ground from the controller and then connect the power and tie the grounds together at the lights. The boards themselves will draw very little current in this configuration, so using a 350watt power supply to just drive the boards is a massive overkill as you would only need something like a 5 amp Power supply.
In fact you can use one voltage for the board and another voltage for the lights in this configuration

dale82

Senior elf
Personally I don't think that it is wise to have all your eggs in one basket if you get what I mean, Its a personal choice but I run 2 PSU per P12 as I never push my PSU past the 80% mark.

dannyp

Full time elf
YAGOONA LIGHTS said:
Danny why would you want to do that??

each output is fused and really the best way to start the power into your pixels.

is it to do with your layout?

I thought this way I could minimise the load on the Boards, but I forgot about the board being fused.

viennaxmas

New elf
The P12S without pixels uses less than 300 mA... On 5V this would be 1.5 W... So even a 1 Amp PSU would be sufficient.