P12S and DMX

packen

New elf
I am moving from LOR to XLIGHTS this year. My LOR setup is 5 CTB16PC(g3) ac controllers and 1 P12S controller to control my 12 string pixel tree.
So, I can get the P12S to work in XLIGHTS for the pixel tree with no problem but I have no clue how to get the ac controllers to work. I've been reading and watching videos but still cant get them working. If anybody has any knowledge of how to do this PLEASE let me know.
The P12S has two ports for DMX and that is what I am trying to use. One problem is, I can't find any documentation on the P12S to make sure I am setting it up right for the DMX. There plenty of info about the P12R, the only thing is it doesn't have the DMX ports.
I also don't know how to set them up in XLIGHTS. I literally spent 12 hours yesterday trying to get them to work but no luck. Very frustrated at this time.
When i start the controllers, the green light on the CTBs is blinking, which means its not connecting to the network, I think. I am using a crossover cable between the P12S and the CTB. Are all crossover cables the same? Do i even need a crossover for this?
Anybody got any suggestions?

packen

New elf
Anybody have any ideas. I'm dead in the water here. Seams like the more I read the more confused I get. I did learn that I need a special crossover cable though. Still no lights. the CTB controller isn't connecting to the P12S.
i know I'm missing something small.

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
G'day Packen, I'm not going to be able to help on the Xlights stuff but with regards to the crossover cable you can try some other things. You can try connecting a little 4 or 8 port switch between your devices. Most modern devices these days Auto detect if the cable is crossover or not and adjust accordingly. Using a switch can tell you two things, 1 if the device can see the switch you'll get a connection led turn on (means the cable is good), and 2 if the network settings are correct you'll get the data led flashing if data is being broadcast from the controller.

packen

New elf
Thanks for replying
I got the cable figured out and made one for it. still didn't work. i may try the switch though. I have one just laying around. Another thing I was wondering about is, I read that in order for the CTB16PC to work in DMX it had to have v3.4 firmware, but my controller is a generation 3 with v1.04 and the LOR site says that's the latest for that controller and the manual that came with it says its DMX capable. Just doesn't really explain how.
I'm not sure I have the ECG P12S controller set up right for DMX. I cant find any documentation on it to explain. The only info I can find is on the P12R, which is not DMX compatible. So i think my problem might be with with the P12S settings. I think if I get that figured out, it will work.

bretheron

Been bitten by the bug.
Off of memory (going back a few years now) with the P12S i think you have to set up and activate the DMX ports in the Port config settings. For the wiring, and once again off of memory, it is a crossover cable but specific for DMX to LOR. The cable from LOR to LOR is just normal. You also need to look at the DMX address vs unit ID as well. As far as Xlights goes it should still just be set up as a standard E1.31 controller with the extra DMX channels included in it. The P12S does all the work.

Attachments

• DMX-LOR_RJ45_Adapter_Cable.gif
    DMX-LOR_RJ45_Adapter_Cable.gif
    2.5 KB · Views: 1
  • DMX-DOC.pdf
    43.5 KB · Views: 8

packen

New elf
That helps. It lets me know I do have my crossover done right. The LOR document is the same one I was looking at before. But when I try to update my controller, the highest firmware for it is v1.09. I think I read somewhere that the g3 controllers were already DMX ready.
So now i guess i'll play with the P12S and see if I can see what i'm doing wrong. Thanks you all for your help. If you think of anything else please let me know.