P12s/P12x Ranges

Porsche

Full time elf
Hi guys, I'm nearly convinced to grab one of these babies.
What sort of distances you guys getting from these. From controller to string?
this will determine if I go get some more P2's and get my head around these pixels extenders or the P12s/P12x will do the trick.
I reckon maximum distance Id have from controller to string would be 8m.

any suggestions/thoughts.

Cheers
Phil

Porsche

Full time elf
Thanks mate. Yeah im using 2811's.

Right so now I'm confused about the P12 range in general. The P12D that you shown, how is that different to the P12s or are they used in conjunction.

Benslights

Dedicated elf
ok the p12d is the same as the p12s but allows for longer runs on pixels and more power injection off the p12d board itself

also you can only use the ppr-b boards with the p12d or the DP2 to get longer distances with the pixel

Porsche

Full time elf
Understood. now that makes sense.

the PPR-B's how are they hooked up to the string?. ie is there one at the controller end and one at the start of the string. or you only need the 1 PPR-B per string placed at the controller that can send the signals long distances.?

So if that's sounds dumb, Im just soooo over Null pixels. things have to change in my display.

Just not sure how and where these PPR-B's are placed. Sounds promising but.

Benslights

Dedicated elf
does not sound dumb at all. from what ed has explained to me you would need 1 ppr-b for each output that you have a long run on and just need to config on the board with jumpers how it is placed in the run on that output.

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
Right on the money on this Yagoona Lights!

The P12D has the options of having either single ended outputs (which would be like a P12S) or differential outputs which will give you that distance increase while using one of Ed's receiver modules out at the pixel string or strip. These are set up with jumpers next to each of the output chips. The jumpers shown next to the J09 And J12 chips here are set to differential output on a P12D.

DSC02434.JPG

There are actually 4 different receiver modules to use depending on what you need:

J1sys product line.JPG

The PPR-B is the "starter kit" if you will and takes the differential signal from the P12D and converts it back to RGB for the strings or strips to use.
The PPR-C has a 1.5A regulator on it for 5V if needed (and of course you might be running 5V :D )
The PPR-D has a 5A regulator that takes 24V input and converts to 5V @5A if you need more power.

So the P12D is "one end" if you like of the signal and the receiver is the other end or you can use the P12D in single ended output which would not require a receiver board but the distance would not be as great from the board to the pixels.

bhamze

New elf
I have a P12-D and PPR-B receivers. Installation was simple and the P12-D is an amazing controller. You can configure it to run your 2811's directly (for your short distances) or configure it for longer runs using PPR-B receivers. I have it configured both ways. 10 channels are configured directly and 2 channels are configured for PPR-B's. You need a PPR-B for each channel that is configured for longer runs and it is placed at the end of your run or at display element. In my case I have 2 PPR-B's that are placed roughly 100 feet away from controller and so far no issues to report. Im using 12v 2811 pixels and 18/4 security cable for my runs. Im still experimenting but so far the P12-D and PPR-B are well worth the investment.

Benslights

Dedicated elf
the P12D is a great controller for that reason say for example you have a very tall mega tree with a star on the bottom. you could do the mega tree normally off the p12d then the output for the star that is way way way way way up the top you could put a PPR-B on it

mangoat

Full time elf
ppr-b can only be used with the p12d? it can not be used on the p12s???

how do you go about extending the range of the p12s ??

cheers.

goat

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
mangoat said:
ppr-b can only be used with the p12d? it can not be used on the p12s???

how do you go about extending the range of the p12s ??

cheers.

goat

You would use a PPD-x along with a PPR-x with the P12S if you want to increase distance. The PPD-x is "built-in" (the differential output) to the P12D is why you don't need one of them with it.

At least that is my understanding of the new selection of modules from Ed at this time. I am hoping we get better specs and information on all the products soon to help people in selecting what they need.

viennaxmas

New elf
You can actually just buy the top board and swap it on your P12S. Ed also has transmitters you could add. The top board converts the P12S into a P12D. The bottom board with the CPU's is identical on both.

pagrosse

New elf
I've had good luck running 2811s 24ft (7.3m) from my P12S. I have 3 of my outputs running just fine with no null pixels using cat5 wire (4/3/1 gnd/pos/signal configuration). I'd recommend the P12S because with the D you will need s receiver for every output which is going to be more complex and expensive.

Gilrock

Full time elf
You can run the P12D exactly the same as the P12S without receivers if you want but then you have the flexibility to add them later. One cool thing is you could run one bank differential and the other bank single ended using two completely different voltages. I've got the P12D driving 6 PPR-D units to control pixels on my rooflines. My longer runs are at least 50 ft. I was really happy to be able to run a 5v 60 pixel string 50 ft away from the controller with no dimming at the end of the string and no power injection.