P12s/P12x Ranges

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
That is correct, each individual output can be either single ended or differential output. You just set the jumpers for what you want on each output.
Also the new version of the lower board (P12S) that I got with my P12D has 2 RJ45 jacks on it for some DMX features that are coming out in the near future.
Ed is putting a lot of thought into his designs with future enhancements in mind.

I would love to hear what is the longest distance that someone has gotten the differential output to run so far?

Porsche

Full time elf
Thanks everyone for your input.
In the case of the p12d. Let's say I had a set of 2811's 12v
How many pixels could that power without injection.

Basically I've got 6 windows to the front of my house, evenly spaced about 1m apart.
So my thought/hope with the p12d was to get away with the need for power injection on each window
If it has to be that way then fine, just looking for ways to clean up my wiring.

Each window has 70 pixels. So I have 1 x 140 pixels (1 universe) put across 2 windows.
So I was hopping I may be able to power each strip 2 windows from 1 output from the p12d.
So using 3 outputs from the p12d to do my windows without power injection.

Any chance?

bhamze

New elf
I guess it would depend on your length of cable and voltage drop across it. My longest run is 100ft with (100) 12v 2811 pixels using 18g wire. I have no issues. I can connect 50 more and let you know the results. Wont be till this weekend though.

viennaxmas

New elf
I have one 150 ft run, 4 100ft and 2 50 ft runs on the P12D. The remaining outputs are directly connected.

I am not worried about Voltage drop since I have a power supply with each receiver. I have about 10 Amp of pixels connected per receiver, so running power over the CAT5 would not work too well...

Gilrock

Full time elf
I could power 10 amps of pixels over a regular CAT5 with the PPR-D. The pixels would need to be 5V. If you have 10 amps at 5V thats 50 watts. So you use 24V on the P12D to drive the PPR-D making it 50w / 24v = 2.08amps. You double up a twisted pair for the power and ground wires.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
If you use Cat6 cable rather than Cat5 there is a fairly huge difference in voltage drop if you are powering anything via the Cat5/Cat6 cables.

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
AAH said:
If you use Cat6 cable rather than Cat5 there is a fairly huge difference in voltage drop if you are powering anything via the Cat5/Cat6 cables.

Hey Alan,

Do you have any numbers on the differences between using Cat 5, Cat 5e, or Cat 6 for powering things?
Would be a great thing for people to know I would think.

I am looking at using Cat 6 for signal right now and I have a bunch of stranded 12/2 cable that I plan on running 24 VDC on around the yard to various 24 to 5 V down converters at parts of the display. I "think" at this point that I will be able to run only 2 of the 24 volt power suppliers for everything but like everything hobby, I have to "do the math" yet to confirm it all and I also have yet to get all the various lengths of pixels worked out for power injection.
I am going with 5V pixels.

Thanks
Bill

pagrosse

New elf
beeiilll said:
AAH said:

Hey Alan,

Do you have any numbers on the differences between using Cat 5, Cat 5e, or Cat 6 for powering things?
Would be a great thing for people to know I would think.

I am looking at using Cat 6 for signal right now and I have a bunch of stranded 12/2 cable that I plan on running 24 VDC on around the yard to various 24 to 5 V down converters at parts of the display. I "think" at this point that I will be able to run only 2 of the 24 volt power suppliers for everything but like everything hobby, I have to "do the math" yet to confirm it all and I also have yet to get all the various lengths of pixels worked out for power injection.
I am going with 5V pixels.

Thanks
Bill

Voltage drop is a proportional to wire size. Cat6, for example, will only provide less voltage drop IF it is 23awg vs. typical 24awg for cat5 and most Cat6 I've seen is 24awg so you wouldn't benefit from it. Assuming you get 23awg:

23awg=0.02036ohms/ft
24awg=0.02567ohms/ft

so 23awg has 79.3% of the resistance/ft = 79.3% of the voltage drop. Feeding 2amps at 24v for 100ft (200total ft traveled) using 3 wires for + and 3 for - final voltage would be:
23awg=21.3
24awg=20.6