P2 Effect config frustration and lesson learnt

damo1271

Full time elf
Here's the dilemma

I set up WS2812 strips which require GRB effect config, not RGB.
No matter how I set up the effects config the second universe always defaulted to RGB. I tried every possible combination of effects, including adding null pixels, swapping counts of pixels in each 'a', b' effect, changing the channel start to continue to numbering from the last universe, and so on.
NOTHING worked.
Decided it must be a problem with the effects config when a full universe of 170 pixels is used. I reset the P2 for 150 pixels in each universe.
This is about 3 hours after I started testing. Since I don't have hair to pull out, I was silently swearing at the P2 config setup process instead!

I went to Nutcracker which I was using for testing, set the channel count from 512 to 450 and the GRB conversion effect started magically working. My swearing seemed to have been justified. :)

Being an engineer I couldn't let it rest and had to investigate the cause further. I set the P2 back to 170 pixels, then set nutcracker to 510 channels to match. The string effect conversion kept working.
Then I realised that the original Nutcracker config was for 512 channels not 510. I reset nutcracker to 512 channels and GRB effect stopped working.

Lesson learned
1) make sure the channel configs match EVERYWHERE.
2) the P2 string effects config process works properly after all - not that I ever doubted it :p

Lastly a 'silent' apology to J1sys/Ed for my swearing at the quality of the effects config process. The J1sys products are back in my good books :)

mborg10

Michael Borg
Unfortunately numbers don't lie. I have made similar mistakes blaming everything but my ability to count. Now I have a fairly comprehensive spreadsheet and I let the computer do the counting for me