P2 Random lights on 2801 strip piece

chadowamsley

New elf
Hello,

Ive been watching videos and reading on how to test some strip pieces just to get comfortable. Soon as I power up the board and strip, the strip piece just starts blinking different colors, even if I dont have a program open. Just wondering if Im doing something wrong. I have the dat and clk hooked to the board and ground and power hooked to my power supply. Im just guessing from what I try to make out from videos. That is why Im using these pieces of strips I received from another member. I didnt know if this board had a built in test sequence it will keep running until shut off or what.

I have some pieces of 5m led digital strip,DC12V input,WS2801IC(256 scale);12pcs IC and 36pcs 5050 SMD RGB each meter;without controller;IP65 that I received from another forum member.

I had a question on these strips also. Should I be able to control each pixel, or just sets of 3 together ? I cant really try as The strip keeps blinking, but seems like its moving in groups of 3 at a time.

I was just wondering so I know what to look at when testing. These arent the strips that I have ordered. I ordered some of the 12v 2811 30led per meter from diyledexpress and Im hoping those have every pixel controllable. Unless Im thinking wrong but I thought every led, white square on the strip, was a pixel and controllable. If its every 3 per pixel than I believe I ordered the wrong stuff.

Was in a rush trying to get presale pricing.

Thanks for any help.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
2801 strip has been known to be labelled incorrectly between the data and clock wires, so try just changing around the data and clock wires

the fact that you got 12vdc 2801 strip you will find that it will be groups of 3 LEDs, its the 5vdc strip that is normally individually controlled LEDs. So even the 12vdc 2811 30 LED/M which you wanted to get will still be controlled in groups of 3 LEDs

Also do you have a ground wire going from the controller to the strip as this may also cause your issue.

chadowamsley

New elf
I did not have a ground from controller to strip. I had ground going to the power supply.

Thank you for the information on the groups of 3 for the 12v strips. I guess Ill see if I can change my order to 5v strips.

If I moved to 5v, I would probably need to infect power at the start and end of each strip Im guessing ?

I was looking to build a small matrix using strips for my first pixel object. I figured strips would keep it a bit more simple as far as spacing and what not. For a matrix I would rather have control of each instead of groups of 3.

Thank you for the quick reply.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
5vdc does suffer from a higher % of voltage driop and also will require more current, but for a mtrix the single controlled strip is a good choice.
Depending on the size cable you use from the power supply to the lights and the distance will be the determining factors on if you require injection at the end of the strip. Connect it up and then see if it acceptable and that there is no signs of pinking at the end of the strip when the strip is on as white light

chadowamsley

New elf
Thank you. My P2 and power supply will be within 8 feet of the first pixel on my matrix. I was hoping to run 4 strips per output of my P2. Cutting the strips into thirds so I would have around 5' by 24 pixels high give or take when it comes time to put it together.

I will see if I can switch my order to 5v strips as well as my power supplies.

One more quick noob question just to clear my mind, with 30led per meter on the 5v strip, that means 150 pixels per strip ? Or is that all wrong also ?

Thank you again for you help.