P2 vs P12R

jimcllc

Apprentice elf
I have read and re read the specs of the two ECG controllers and wondering what the differences are, if any really.
One thing the P12 has that seems different than the P2 is: The ECG-P12x Panel includes two separate power buses with bus fuse protection and individual string fuse protection. Each bus is supplied power via high current screw terminals and the strings are provided power and signal through a pluggable terminal strip for each string.
[/size]
[font=trebuchet ms, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][/size] I have read this many times and still goes way over my head. I am debating whether to go with 3 P2's for 24 universes or a P2 and a P12R for 20 universes. My set up would be one P2 running a 3 universe matrix then 2 P2s running 400 pixels. Why 2 P2 for 400 pixels? This is where my question comes into play. I will have a 50 pixel mini tree hooked to a 2.5 meter stri parch hooked to 50 pixel mini tree hooked to 2.5 meter arch hooked to 50 pixel mini troo hooked to 2.5 meter strip arch hooked to 50 pixel mini tree. Then 20 feet away I will have a 2.5 meter strip runing up the pole of my mini mega tree. Since that is a long data connection with different types of lights I am wondering if that would not be suck a smart set up. Comments and critiques accepted.[/font]

BillInSoFL

Apprentice elf
With careful controller placement both can equally do the job.

The P12R has a much smaller limit to the number of pixels each output can drive (170 for the P12R vs 680 for the P2), however the P12R has 12 outputs whereas the P2 only has 2. P12R has nice features, like a built-in test pattern, but price is also important to consider. I think you can get 2 P2's for the price of 1 P12R (I have 3 of both).

Irrespective of which controller you choose you can easily use null pixels to extend cable runs. I like the P2 because I can do fewer data runs back to the controller. Power injection is a fact of nature when using DIY gear.

Dave H

Apprentice elf
Jim / Bill,

Great topic, as I ease into the pixel realm, more of these questions seem to surface.

Bill, on a side note, any information available on your "tune to"sign. Looks great

BillInSoFL

Apprentice elf
I created a blog entry that discussed how to make to include pictures. I'm happy to offer up any help or suggestions if you'd like. Originally I had the radio signs mounted to the top of the house, but the city asked me to take them down because they could be considered "advertising". I took them down and put them in the yard so I could easily disguise them during the day :)
I'm thinking about doing big matrixes next instead. That way they'll be more versatile.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
One of the biggest issues with an ECG-P2 is that the data is cascaded along for up to 4 universes, all it takes is one dead pixel to then take out a large section of your display. So people should consider this when designing their setup.

The ECG-P2 only provides the data to the pixels, it does not provide the power in most cases (under 20 pixels is OK )
The ECG-P12R provides fused power though the board.

jimcllc

Apprentice elf
That said how much power does the ECG-P12 supply? Enough for the typical 50 or so pixels before injection?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
jimcllc said:
That said how much power does the ECG-P12 supply? Enough for the typical 50 or so pixels before injection?

The ECG-P12R has 7.5 amp fuses for each output and each main bank has a 30 amp fuse, so that means you could safely run 20 12vdc 30 LED/M strips through a P12R (10 on each bank). Now most power supplies come in 350 watts or lower, if taking the 85% power supply rule then you can only connect a max of 8 strips per 350 watt power supply which means 16 total strips using both banks and a seperate 350 watt power supply for each bank. then you can refer to the ECG-P12R manual and check on option 4 and 6 for wiring pixels, these show you how to use additional power supplies.

remoteutah

Full time elf
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
The ECG-P12R has 7.5 amp fuses for each output and each main bank has a 30 amp fuse, so that means you could safely run 20 12vdc 30 LED/M strips through a P12R (10 on each bank). Now most power supplies come in 350 watts or lower, if taking the 85% power supply rule then you can only connect a max of 8 strips per 350 watt power supply which means 16 total strips using both banks and a seperate 350 watt power supply for each bank. then you can refer to the ECG-P12R manual and check on option 4 and 6 for wiring pixels, these show you how to use additional power supplies.

Eddy-

I have referred to this post a few times. Is is possible (I know you are busy) to do the same breakdown for:

ECG-P12R using 5 volts and the ECG-P2 with both 12 and 5 volts?

I have been doing the math on these combinations and want to make sure my math is right.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
remoteutah said:
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:

Eddy-

I have referred to this post a few times. Is is possible (I know you are busy) to do the same breakdown for:

ECG-P12R using 5 volts and the ECG-P2 with both 12 and 5 volts?

I have been doing the math on these combinations and want to make sure my math is right.

The P2 is different to the P12R in the fact that the P2 is not designed to carry the current through the board like the P12 is, The P2 will burn out the +V track if more than 1.5 amps of load are connected to the +V out from the P2 Controller. It can handle a very light load but thats really it and wont handle the load of a full strip or string. So +V is connected directly to the strip and seperatly to the P2. The ground (-v) is also connected to both from the power supply, but the ground is also connected from the output of the P2 to the strip. From there you will then need to inject between every strip if 5vdc or every second strip if 12vdc (in most cases)

Now the difference between the loads of 12vdc and 5vdc lights vary depending on the type used as shown here

12vdc 2811 strip - 10 sections/m Strip
7.68 Watts/m @ 12vdc = 0.64 amps/m

5vdc 2811 strip 30 sections/m Strip
7.2 Watts/m @ 5v = 1.44 amps/m

5vdc 2811 strip 60 sections/m Strip
14.4 Watts/m @ 5v = 2.88 amps/m

12vdc 2811 String of 50
(0.3 Watts * 50) @ 12vdc = 1.25 amps per 50 strings
*Note refer to this thread to see the differences between 5vdc and 12vdc strings

5vdc 2811 String of 50
(0.3 Watts * 50) @ 12vdc = 3 amps per 50 string

So it depends on what you decide to use will determine how may can be connected to an output of a P12R to stay below the current limits of the individual outputs and P12R board. Power supply loads need to be considered

The P2 would be connected in this way so there is no current issues dealing with the board, its voltage drop and total load that you will then need to manage.

[attachimg=1]

Attachments

• p2 wiring.JPG
    p2 wiring.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 130