P4 panel build

buts

New elf
Generous elf
I just thought that I would share that after a number of weeks of trying. I finally managed to get my P4 flexible panel matrix up and working. I am running 5 x 5 with five colour like cards. The panels are outdoor rated. And I have a rubber membrane over the back of them and they are magnetic.
The main problem that I had getting it going was that I required custom firmware for the colour light card that was provided to me by the vendor. The metal frame is held together by brackets that have been popped riveted to the metalwork and on the high stress joints I have also used high tensile bolts. As well.
I still have a little bit of work to do making sure that all the panels are aligned, but that’s fairly minor in comparison with the rest of the build

lastly, I’d like to thank those on the site to help me when I had a few problems along the way

Attachments

• IMG_9542.jpeg
    IMG_9542.jpeg
    818.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_9544.jpeg
    IMG_9544.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_9543.jpeg
    IMG_9543.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 58
Let me say I think you did a very nice job of putting it together and getting it running. Now come the questions, because I am very curious since I am currently working on some different flexible panels to get up and running.

Why the choice of flexible over normal outdoor panels?
Where did you source your panels?
Can we get more pictures and details of the frame and how you put it together?
How are you dealing with mounting and/or enclosing the colorlight cards?
You mentioned using 5 CL cards, is that one per column?

This is about to become a very interesting thread!

Thank you very much for being willing to show and discuss your matrix panel!

I chose the outdoor flexible panels because I wanted to go with a magnetic mounting due to the fact that if I used a metal galvanised frame which is an advantage for me as I have limited storage space and it means that after Christmas I can pack the panels up into a box and install the frame under a tarp behind the shed

I sourced the panels from colourlit see attachment

The frame itself is made of a combination between 20 x 20 square galvanised and 20 x 50 rectangular and is held together using some brackets from Bunnings brackets with high tensile bolts across the main support beam. The link for the Bunnings brackets is Link I’ll try and take some more photos tomorrow night

I ended up using five colour cards. I originally had planned to use 2 but during testing I found out that I had to have the same number of panels horizontally on each card or I would have problems so I just worked out easier to have five one per column. If I’d go on six panels across, I could’ve made 2 work

The colour like cards I have basically placed in a plastic container which I cut the section out on the side and then 3-D printed a shroud for where the cables enter. I’m a little bit lucky in that where I’ll be mounting the screen. The back of it will be under a veranda so it won’t get any weather directly hitting the back of it as I said before I’ll take some photos tomorrow which will make things a little clearer

Attachments

• Colorlight LED-Outdoor P4 Soft Module.pdf
    715.1 KB · Views: 31
sorry i will not get to post photos tonight as i have a work dinner i forgot about but will do Wednesday night

Here are the photos I promised earlier I still need to add a few cable ties to tidy up the cabling but as you can see the colorlight li cards are just in a plastic container with a 3-D printed cover on the side the cover has a two mm wide slot in it and I have just used some silicon grease that’s a stop water tracking down the cable

Attachments

• IMG_9551.jpeg
    IMG_9551.jpeg
    271 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_9554.jpeg
    IMG_9554.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_9553.jpeg
    IMG_9553.jpeg
    143.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_9555.jpeg
    IMG_9555.jpeg
    979.2 KB · Views: 44
Thank you for sharing. I would also like to say that was a very creative use of the receiver shipping holders.

That was me being lazy. I ended up just glueing the shipping holder to the plastic container and they just clip in nicely. Also makes it easy to change out if I have to.

Hey @buts,
Do you mind linking the shop where you got the panels from. I had a quick look and cant seem to find them easily.
Also what was the lead time? (cart to Door)

@warsome Your Pixel Store sell them, but being in Adelaide I just found a supplier on alibaba and imported direct. Took about 4-6 weeks via boat in my case.

Thanks Daryl.
Im really considering upgrading from my 50*25 home made matrix this year. Just not sure how ill waterproof the back yet so looking into panel options.

firmware attached as well as the configuration file ( online zip tool used )

Attachments

• P4-3265-5958.zip
    649.5 KB · Views: 4
Back