P5 Panels BBB and FPP testing issue

bigdog

New elf
Hi Guys. I have a 16, 64x32 True color Outdoor full color led display P5 LED panel screen module matrix, purchased from Light it up LEDs. I assembled them with a BBB and Octoscroller and running FPP 7.0. I can't figure out whats happening when testing it appears the display is mirrored? With matrix tools 'Hello World' displays garbled characters. Wiring or configuration issue? Any ideas?

IMG_1436.jpg

IMG_1445.jpg

Fpp 1sixteenth scan Wiring V1. top left adv.JPG

MATRIX.JPG

IMG_1447.jpg

Attachments

• MATRIX.JPG
    MATRIX.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 4

orchidman33

Full time elf
how many universe have you set for the display. With 98304 channels and 510 as a channel count that equals 193 universes required

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Try enabling "Output by Row"
If that doesn't change anything, they might be 1/8 panels, being Outdoor ones; rather than 1/16

Get the test pattern working first before worrying about the matrix tools; just in case there is a bug there.

how many universe have you set for the display. With 98304 channels and 510 as a channel count that equals 193 universes required

Universes don't come into the equation here. This is a panel setup issue as it's completely within FPP.
You wouldn't run E1.31 for this anyway; you'd run the BBB as a remote, with it's own sequence data, or as a standalone player. Use DDP for "Output to Lights" whilst testing.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Wow that's pretty. And not what it's supposed to be.
The doubling is gone, however. Did you try the output by Row option?

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
If the output by row does not resolve the issue work through the "Panel interleave" options one by one to see if that fixes it. I've had to adjust the panel interleave on some of mine but I cannot remember if they were the indoor or outdoor panels.

buzzdude

Full time elf
The LED Output setting in FPP don't seem to match your output on the test pattern. It seems to be reversed horizontally. Setup shows Output 1, Panel 4, 3, 2 then 1. on the top row, yet the test panel shows output 4, Panel 4, 3 2 1 on the top row. Perhaps change your ribbons for each row... row 4 to 1, 3 to 2, 2 to 3, 1 to 4 and see if that helps.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Setup shows Output 1, Panel 4, 3, 2 then 1. on the top row, yet the test panel shows output 4, Panel 4, 3 2 1 on the top row.
This is correct. If you look at the screenshot, directly above the panels, it says front view. So it matches.

Usually you're looking back view when configuring but not always.

buzzdude

Full time elf
If it helps, here is my front view layout in fpp and a picture of the test pattern. Test pattern is in full sun, so i hope you can read it.

Attachments

• 20231205_185130.jpg
    20231205_185130.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot 2023-12-05 190030.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-05 190030.png
    92.3 KB · Views: 9

bigdog

New elf
Wow that's pretty. And not what it's supposed to be.
The doubling is gone, however. Did you try the output by Row option?
Yes, tried the output with row option but resulted in no output.

bigdog

New elf
If the output by row does not resolve the issue work through the "Panel interleave" options one by one to see if that fixes it. I've had to adjust the panel interleave on some of mine but I cannot remember if they were the indoor or outdoor panels.
I did just that with Panel Interleave. Eventually got it to work on 64 pixels! Test pattern now works perfect. The Matrix tool is still a little out with a gap between text. Thanks guys, I've been trying to figure this out for months by myself. Shows what a little expert help can achieve.

IMG_1454 (1).jpg

IMG_1455.jpg

bigdog

New elf
I think if you swap your ribbon cables over your text will look correct. Swap 4 with 1, and 2 with 3.
Spot on, thanks buzzdude. This was the last bit of the puzzle for me and works perfect now, phew! I also had the "abnormal conditions UDP Output set to send data to myself" issue so I left “enable output” checked in FPP, but unchecked each of the E.131 outputs. Then with the octoscroller in xLights changed it from active to xlights only setting. Nice one.