P9828M anyone?

davros

New elf
Gents
I bought a couple of no-name quote WS2811 unquote Ali strings that I have not been able to get to work using WS2811 libs.
Had 1903 silkscreened on the back but none of those drivers do anything either.

Cracked one open to find this:

PowerMos P9828M 1929
Anyone seen these and had them work?
D

Attachments

• pwr_mos.jpg
    pwr_mos.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 23

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Gents
I bought a couple of no-name quote WS2811 unquote Ali strings that I have not been able to get to work using WS2811 libs.
Had 1903 silkscreened on the back but none of those drivers do anything either.

Cracked one open to find this:

PowerMos P9828M 1929
Anyone seen these and had them work?
D
Unfortunately the attached photo isn't much help at low resolution and no detail visible... WS2811 is thrown around by everyone when talking controllable leds however WS2811 actually refers to the WorldSemi WS2811 IC that uses the now generic 2811 protocol that the chip used.
There is a raft of IC's made by other vendors with different codes that all use 2811 protocol.
I could find anything on 9828 and powermos generally returns stuff on power mosfets.
Note there are two speeds used with 2811 - 400kbs and 800kbs -

Can you provide a better photo but i'd be surprised if they were not 2811 compatible these days.

Cheers
Phil

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Still can't make out any of the markings on the top of the IC, however as the PCB is clearly marked 1903 and they are sold as 2811 protocol then regardless of the IC source these have to be assumed as 2811 compatible.
The first thing you should do is connect these up to a pixel tester and ensure they work before trying to drive them yourself, after that it should be just a case of fast/slow version

Ayeso

New elf
I registered just to comment on this thread! I was having some weird issues with my LEDs.

I was trying to troubleshoot my issue with my LEDS. In my initial testing, I was trying a string of 250 12V leds, bullet type, same as yours. I found that using solid white, it would only draw 1 amp, and I could have all 250 on at once. However once I switch to any other color, it would draw substantially more power and half the lights would cut out. I could get about 150 on at once before needing to supply power on the opposite end.

At that point one of the guys trying to help me asked if they were resistor or regulated, and upon checking I see neither type. I eventually removed the goop from one to see if I can see if its possibly a different controller IC and doing something fancy to not need that. Low and behold I have the same chip as you!

This doesnt really resolve my issue but I found it really interesting. I wonder if driving them on white with this particular chip lowers the max brightness and thats why I dont see as high of current?

My IC shows

Power Mos
P9828M

20211217_112019.jpg

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
I registered just to comment on this thread! I was having some weird issues with my LEDs.

I was trying to troubleshoot my issue with my LEDS. In my initial testing, I was trying a string of 250 12V leds, bullet type, same as yours. I found that using solid white, it would only draw 1 amp, and I could have all 250 on at once. However once I switch to any other color, it would draw substantially more power and half the lights would cut out. I could get about 150 on at once before needing to supply power on the opposite end.

At that point one of the guys trying to help me asked if they were resistor or regulated, and upon checking I see neither type. I eventually removed the goop from one to see if I can see if its possibly a different controller IC and doing something fancy to not need that. Low and behold I have the same chip as you!

This doesnt really resolve my issue but I found it really interesting. I wonder if driving them on white with this particular chip lowers the max brightness and thats why I dont see as high of current?

My IC shows

Power Mos
P9828M

The 2102 on the chip is most likely a manufacture date code, 2nd week 2021

davros

New elf
Once I got rid of the duds and connectors and understood that this vendor was labelling D0(zero) and D1(one) not like my others- DO(out) and DI(in) the string did support WS2811 streams OK.

AYESO:
I only have 95ish in my string, did not notice any unusual current draw.

I wonder if you have RGBW strings? How may leads on the actual LEDS