Painting Coro props

Dreamin

Full time elf
Hi Everyone.

I've got 3 of the Boscoyo bulbs all wired up ready to go. I had a spare so I thought I would paint it to see how it turned out and I'm happy with the look, painted the bulb red and the socket silver. It looks like a bulb during the day now rather than a big bit of white plastic. I was considering painting the candy canes too with stripes. At least then they would look like candy canes. I haven't see a lot of people doing this with their displays. Is there a reason why I shouldn't paint them???

Dreamin

Full time elf
done it to mine and will do it to any core I use
Thanks mate. So there is no detremental effect to the light display. It's my first year so having never had the whole thing up yet I'm not waiting to make a rookie mistake! :) I just think it's on display all day, I would like it to be part of my display as well as night time. My youngest is obsessed with Penguins and I really want to add one of these next year. Seems to pop when painted :)

Attachments

• 20190917_120412-e1568686531973.jpg
    20190917_120412-e1568686531973.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 14
  • penguin painted.jpg
    penguin painted.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 17

Benslights

Dedicated elf
nope not at all. it is your display so do as you please there are no rules on these sort of things it is personal taste

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
I'll probably do a thread on it, just haven't gotten to it yet! But if you scroll through my instagram pics you should see the progress

TerryK

Retired Elf
Acrylic I believe. Individuals report good results with Krylon. Material needs de-greased, lightly buffed (no deep scratches as they will not fill), and primed. Avoid thick coats. I haven't painted any coro myself yet but will around July this year.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
I used these spray cans, no primer required. I masked each colour and once finished I applied a clear coat spray.

bpratt

Senior elf
Acrylic I believe. Individuals report good results with Krylon. Material needs de-greased, lightly buffed (no deep scratches as they will not fill), and primed. Avoid thick coats. I haven't painted any coro myself yet but will around July this year.

Krylon ? ..... never heard of it. Must be a brand you have over in the USA.

TerryK

Retired Elf
Krylon ? ..... never heard of it. Must be a brand you have over in the USA.
I checked; Krylon Products Group, Cleveland, Ohio; so US only apparently. Must admit, I've never heard of British Paints or Delux Duramax. Duramax to me is vinyl fencing. Krylon is pretty good; always have had good results with it at least on metal. Krylon documentation indicates it works on a few unusual things such as glass and rubber.

Dreamin

Full time elf
I used the same, cleaned prop with soap and water, wiped over with IPA, let it dry and paint. I used the duramax, and another plastic safe brand to get the colours (somewhere out of stock). It's coming along nicely, although removing and reinserting 140 odd bulbs is a bit of a PITA. lol.

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
I've used Rust-Oleum spray cans in a variety of colours to paint a variety of coro props and then sprayed a clear acrylic over the top
Also used Dulux Duramax Granite effect to paint my tombstones (light coat of black first)

You can get the Krylon paint in Australia but only from a few shops, buying online doubles the cost of the product as they have to pay special freight for spray cans. Rust-Oleum is the next best thing.