Painting props

marty0421

New elf
Hi all, I have a question about painting props. I see alot of you guys painting your props and seeing g some good results. I've tried a few times to no avail, mostly peeling and flaking... so I was thinking about permanent adhesive vinyl instead. Has anyone used this before? Using large sheets to do the base colours and then cutting out detail with a cricut and applying the detail that way...

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
What paint are you using? Are you doing any prep at all? Not that I prep my props, I just justed them off and the started spraying using Rustoleum spray cans (has primer mixed in) Its not 100% perfect and can get scraped off if you are rough with it but 3 seasons later I have no real visible issues.
Vinyl adhesive should work but I wonder how the glue would last after a couple of seasons out in the Aussie sun?

bohnecb

New elf
Marty, I was thinking the same as you with the vinyl and Cricut idea. Unlike Graham, I have the Wisconsin USA bitter cold and snow to contend with. Not sure how it will work, but I am going to try this year.

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
Marty, I was thinking the same as you with the vinyl and Cricut idea. Unlike Graham, I have the Wisconsin USA bitter cold and snow to contend with. Not sure how it will work, but I am going to try this year.
I'm not far off from you in the Chicagoland area but painted my props. After two years they are holding up well and really only have issues where I was rough with them. I did minimal prep work and started spraying.

It'll be interesting to find out how the vinyl holds up in the cold and snow. I've wanted a cricut for a couple years but needed more use cases to cost justify it.

Ian Connelly

New elf
Hi all, I have a question about painting props. I see alot of you guys painting your props and seeing g some good results. I've tried a few times to no avail, mostly peeling and flaking... so I was thinking about permanent adhesive vinyl instead. Has anyone used this before? Using large sheets to do the base colours and then cutting out detail with a cricut and applying the detail that way...
Just playing around with OpenAI ChatGPT tonight and pasted this in and this was the response….

Using permanent adhesive vinyl as a painting alternative for props can be a good option, as it can provide a durable and long-lasting finish that is resistant to peeling and flaking. Here are a few things to consider when using adhesive vinyl to paint props:

1. Surface preparation: Make sure the surface of the prop is clean, dry and smooth before applying the vinyl. Any imperfections on the surface can affect the final result.
  2. Vinyl quality: Not all vinyls are created equal, make sure to purchase high-quality vinyl that is specifically designed for outdoor use.
  3. Applying the vinyl: Make sure to apply the vinyl in a clean and dust-free environment. Use a squeegee to remove any bubbles and smooth the vinyl onto the surface of the prop.
  4. Cutting out details: Using a Cricut or similar machine can be a good way to cut out intricate details and shapes for your prop. Make sure to use a sharp blade and set the correct settings for the type of vinyl you are using.
  5. Sealing the edges: After cutting out the details, seal the edges of the vinyl with a clear sealant to prevent peeling.
  6. Weatherproofing: If you are using the prop outdoors, make sure to apply a UV-resistant clear coat or spray to protect the vinyl from fading or cracking due to sun exposure.
Using adhesive vinyl can be a good alternative to painting props, but it's important to make sure you are using a high-quality vinyl that is designed for outdoor use, and that you are following the proper application and finishing techniques to ensure a long-lasting

bohnecb

New elf
Thanks for the tips. My wife bought the Cricut for holiday crafts, and I saw an opportunity to try it for my hobby. We'll see how it goes.

algerdes

Al Gerdes
Just playing around with OpenAI ChatGPT tonight and pasted this in and this was the response….

Using permanent adhesive vinyl as a painting alternative for props can be a good option, as it can provide a durable and long-lasting finish that is resistant to peeling and flaking. Here are a few things to consider when using adhesive vinyl to paint props:

1. Surface preparation: Make sure the surface of the prop is clean, dry and smooth before applying the vinyl. Any imperfections on the surface can affect the final result.
  2. Vinyl quality: Not all vinyls are created equal, make sure to purchase high-quality vinyl that is specifically designed for outdoor use.
  3. Applying the vinyl: Make sure to apply the vinyl in a clean and dust-free environment. Use a squeegee to remove any bubbles and smooth the vinyl onto the surface of the prop.
  4. Cutting out details: Using a Cricut or similar machine can be a good way to cut out intricate details and shapes for your prop. Make sure to use a sharp blade and set the correct settings for the type of vinyl you are using.
  5. Sealing the edges: After cutting out the details, seal the edges of the vinyl with a clear sealant to prevent peeling.
  6. Weatherproofing: If you are using the prop outdoors, make sure to apply a UV-resistant clear coat or spray to protect the vinyl from fading or cracking due to sun exposure.
Using adhesive vinyl can be a good alternative to painting props, but it's important to make sure you are using a high-quality vinyl that is designed for outdoor use, and that you are following the proper application and finishing techniques to ensure a long-lasting
This came out of the automated writing tool? Interesting.

drakky

Senior elf
these are stickers from a professional printer water proof , although after I stuck them on I sprayed a clear coat over the top just to make sure
pretty much what @Ian Connelly said above

IMG_3233.JPG

Last edited: