Parkside Christmas 2012 - Dreams of Fireflies.

Gary Martin

New elf
A new song, showing off some of what our new snowmen can do.

https://vimeo.com/56308033

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Great work there Gary, the snowmen are an awsome effect and so much so that i think you will be needing to do a how to for the many of us that may want to copy your snowmen :D

kel

Dedicated elf
work22.gif

mick8248

Full time elf
Amazing show, like everyone else here I'm very impressed with your snowmen and would love to know how they were constructed.

Gary Martin

New elf
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
Great work there Gary, the snowmen are an awsome effect and so much so that i think you will be needing to do a how to for the many of us that may want to copy your snowmen :D
Now that the season's done I should have some time to put together a build article or vid on those.
It was a very fun project but took WAAAY more time than I thought it would. Everything was fabricated for them, the circles out of 3x6 acrylic stock, the spacers out of 1" acrylic rod and the spines out of 1" angle steel. The hats are 6" PVC roughed up to give them a felt look with an acrylic circle base and top. A Mighty Mini RGB flood is in the hat, aimed downward to give a ground pool.
The circles were cut on a bandsaw using a Rockler circle jig. Frosted by using 220 grit sandpaper on an orbital sander and then the pixel strips were encased inside 3/4" vinyl tubing for protection.
Pixel strips are TSL3001, in 5 volt. 134 pixels per snowman but power was injected at the beginning and end of each circle's strip with a common power bus going up the spine. (still sucked a lot off the 5v supply)
I will get pictures and/or video when I dismantle them for storage.