PC Power Supply with a differance

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I think you are better spending the money on a quality meanwell power supply that is designed to have large fluctuating loads like the Meanwell HRP range, these have features like remote voltage monitoring which can be attached to the load and detect volatge drop and thus boost the voltage up by 1/2 a volt when needed.
Computer power supplies do the job and are great if you have them lying around but these were not designed for the purpose we use and that is large fluctuating loads from no load to full load in 25 millisecond So if buying new then the money could be better spent with a Meanwell if its a dedicated lighting power supply that is needed.

But it is a beast of a power supply and i love the voltage monitoring features and rail linking, but at a price of around AU$530.00 its not bad value for the output

Just my thinking :)

Nodent

Apprentice elf
Fasteddy said:
I think you are better spending the money on a quality meanwell power supply that is designed to have large fluctuating loads like the Meanwell HRP range, these have features like remote voltage monitoring which can be attached to the load and detect volatge drop and thus boost the voltage up by 1/2 a volt when needed.
Computer power supplies do the job and are great if you have them lying around but these were not designed for the purpose we use and that is large fluctuating loads from no load to full load in 25 millisecond So if buying new then the money could be better spent with a Meanwell if its a dedicated lighting power supply that is needed.

But it is a beast of a power supply and i love the voltage monitoring features and rail linking, but at a price of around AU$530.00 its not bad value for the output

Just my thinking :)

I'm in agreement with Fasteddy on this one.

1.) You're putting a lot of eggs in one basket, so to speak, That Power supply fails and you are up a creek.
2.) I went the PC power supply root and thought I had it nail.
a.) Power fluctuations made the power supply shut down
b.) One did not like the cold.
c.) PC power supplies are bigger and bulky
d.) The time to convert one properly was more then I anticipated.
3.) Monitoring the power is not a critical aspect once you have done the calculation.

Good Luck.
4.) The long runs you will have to make to disperse your power will cause significant loss in power.