penguineers 2012 light show

penguineer

Full time elf
Still trying to get good video of the other songs - in the show, but here's Wizards in Winter to start with....

2012-christmas-lights-tso-wizards-in-winter

My first animated/musical christmas lights sequence!

The display uses only light strings(and the stakes I found in a pile when setting up) running from LOR controllers. Lights on the house are still on an AC controller and I didn't use dimming/twinkle/shimmer effects there - next year....

Video and sound quality is not great - low powered speakers and filmed using a mobile phone on a windy night, but you should get the general idea.

Neighbourhood kids seem to have favourite lights - like the megatree or just the star on top of it and cheer when they come on....

Music(if you can hear it) is Trans-Siberian Orchestra' "Wizards in Winter" from the album "Christmas Eve and Other Stories". Buy a copy! No infringement is intended - this video is purely so others can review my light display.

Cheers!

drakky

Senior elf
awesome effort especially for a first go , hope mine will be somewhere near that next year

penguineer

Full time elf
OK - second song for 2012 - Six White Boomers by Rolf Harris.

Video quality is not that good.

2012-christmas-lights-rolf-harris-six-white-boomers

This is the second song I sequenced for my 2012 christmas lights show.

This sequence doesn't make use of all the lights, noticibly the megatree is not used. I tried to link particular lights to specific instruments - eg the red and green lights on the house are the guitar stumming, the bethlehem star on the roof and blue roof peak are a whip crack. Also attempted to link the first of the minitrees to the "Joey" character and the blue roof peak to "Santa".

Video and sound quality is not great - low powered speakers and filmed using a mobile phone on a windy night, but you should get the general idea.Music(if you can hear it) is Rolf Harris' "Six White Boomers" from his platinum collection CD set.. Buy a copy! No infringement is intended - this video is purely so others can review my light display.

penguineer

Full time elf
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
Excellent work for your first time up, you must be very proud of your efforts

drakky said:
awesome effort especially for a first go , hope mine will be somewhere near that next year

Thanks guys!

I'm reasonably happy with the show - keep having nagging thoughts that there's "not enough lights" and similar, but it is a first year show. Actually, I did want to have a show up and running a year ago(various problems) so it has been more like 2 years thinking about it rather than one.

The light layout on the house is largely a refinement of the static lights I had been using for the previous five or six years, so that simplified a few choices.

And it seems to have kept a few kids around here happy, so I guess that's the big test :D

One more video to post up.

Cheers!

penguineer

Full time elf
OK - third video - Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24 by Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

Again - so-so video/sound quality. If I get the chance I may try to get a better version of some of these uploaded.

2012-christmas-lights-tso-christmas-sarajevo

The third/final animated/musical christmas lights sequence of my initial 2012 light show.

Initially I had planned a different song for my third sequence - but I realised it was less than good when I watched it on the evening of November 30. As I was turning the lights on the next night and had invited some friends over I was a bit annoyed.

I started sequencing this song at 9pm on the Friday night and had it finished by 1pm the next day(yeah, I got some sleep - keeping the brain alive is a very important part of the process) - so some bits of it may seem a bit "rushed"....

Music(if you can hear it) is Trans-Siberian Orchestra' "Christmas Eve/Sarejevo 12/24" from the album "Christmas Eve and Other Stories". Buy a copy! No infringement is intended - this video is purely so others can review my light display.

Cheers!

Bevo

Let your Light Shine before men
That looks great Sean.

Good effort getting it all up and going and making the kids up there happy. ;)

penguineer

Full time elf
Bird said:
penguineer said:
- keep having nagging thoughts that there's "not enough lights"

Thats a nice first year effort and with your statement, .. you have officially contracted CLAP ... congratulations :D

Hmmmm.....was explaining CLAP the other night - got some funny looks......

Bevo said:
That looks great Sean.

Good effort getting it all up and going and making the kids up there happy. ;)

Thanks - but can you guess where I've been sending them next??? :D

Might try to do up a basic sign tomorrow - "Speakers here - lights dance to music" - been a few cars stop but nobody gets out and I'm quite sure they can't hear the music over the engine. Without the music the display looks "bare" and the effects seem disjointed......

Cheers!

Bevo

Let your Light Shine before men
Don't worry to much about people not getting out as most people around here have never seen computer controlled lights before. I have had heaps of people ask me about my radio station thinking that I work for them and even though I have a 15m tune in sign on the roof some still don't get it. ???

Thanks for letting people know about my display I also have been sending them to your place. :)

mellowcouple

Full time elf
Oh ok Bevo. It's not just a problem in my neck of the woods. Lots of people miss the point all over the place.
Not many tuning in to hear the music here either.

Ron.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
After 4 years I still get a few not tuning in, but because a lot of people are word of mouth they do know to tune in now, plus I have a couple of signs they have to pass to get to the display.

The first and second year the majority actually had no clue even with signage and then when you tell them to tune in they give you this weird look of confusion and amazement at how you did it. a lot think you work for a radio station and it would be the most ask question, 'how do get the music onto the radio"

As your display get better known you have more and more tune in, but there will always be first timers that have never experienced a Christmas display syncronised to music and being transmitted to their cars and wont comprehend it until told.

All i say is enjoy and watch the crowds slowly increase as word starts to spread

logandc99

Dedicated elf
I don't have an FM transmitter so use speakers for the music. But I am always surprised by how many people will sit through at least one whole song, maybe two before I hear them say "oh, the lights are going to the music!" Funny.

kel

Dedicated elf
work20.gif