Pixel alignment mesh .

angus40

Senior elf
I wish I had discovered this last year .

This will be my saving grace for properly aligned pixels .

My pixels will also have 1/2 strapping zip tied and taped to them for mounting and tension purposes.

The mesh is purely for alignment .

pixel alignment mesh

angus40

Senior elf
Bird said:
That looks pretty cool.
What is it?
Where did you find it?

This is welded wire it comes in rolls at the lumber yard here.

The square's size is 12mm x 12 mm which is perfect for the bullet-round style pixels .

I am going to the lumber store today and will re- post again with the specific name brand .

myoung008

New elf
Here most people refer to it as "Hardware Cloth".

Lumber yards and big box home improvement stores have it. I've used it in the past to hold incandescent minis and then you weave greenery in from a disassembled garland to make it look a little more natural. It works well for two dimensional panels as well.

The small square pixels also lock in nicely and make the overall assembly have less depth.

Charl Marais

For my twins was the excuse I started with.
Here in South Africa we have a plastic version of that called Tremnet which is what I have been using.
It is UV Stabilised and available in a million and one colors and sizes.
Perhaps you have something similar there in Oz.

neilric99

Full time elf
I got a plastic net from home depot for my pixicle matrix which was good for mounting the 12mm pixels on

Tenax-3-ft-x-15-ft-Black-Hardware-Net

DrNeutron

Just starting in this crazy hobby
That is the same stuff I use for my 6ft talking tree. I made the frame out of PVC and used the webbing over top and then cable-tied the rope light to it. Works great, but not sure how good it would be for a large mega tree as it stretches easily....

angus40

Senior elf
DrNeutron said:
That is the same stuff I use for my 6ft talking tree. I made the frame out of PVC and used the webbing over top and then cable-tied the rope light to it. Works great, but not sure how good it would be for a large mega tree as it stretches easily....

I highly doubt your using this product , this is welded wire and if you can get this to stretch I would be shocked to say the least .
The black plastic coated wire mesh from depot is an absolute waste of time , the wire inside is most likely an alloy of sorts . it has a very low tensile strength .
that said it may be ok if you do not cut it down as i have shown the welded wire in post #1

I have tested this mesh from depot and it will not work for the purpose I intend If you look at post #1 you will see how rigid this welded wire is and how uniform the pixels look .

angus40

Senior elf
neil said:
I got a plastic net from home depot for my pixicle matrix which was good for mounting the 12mm pixels on

Tenax-3-ft-x-15-ft-Black-Hardware-Net

I tried and tested this mesh and it is $#%P in comparison to the welded wire. Once you cut this plastic mesh into 1/2 rows it becomes like string , very weak .

Will not work for my purpose .