1. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

Pixel cable Colour

Discussion in 'The Family Room' started by aaronwa, Jun 14, 2018.

1. aaronwa

aaronwa New Elf

Find Me On:
    Hi Guys,

New to pixels.

Does anyone know seller that will sell pixel strings with green/white/black cable instead of the multi coloured?

I'd obviously needs the ends of the cables coloured to see what i am connecting, but for aestetics i would prefer the main cable colour to match the gutter, bush or other object they are being hung in.

2. djgra79

djgra79 My name is Graham & I love flashing lights! Generous Elf

Find Me On:
    The likes of Ray Wu and others do have black and other colours available usually by asking for it. Not sure if there would be any additional costs involved.
    However you mentioned something important already, which is not being able to tell what colour the wires are for connecting.
    At night noone is going to see the wires anyway as it will be dark and during the day, noone (apart from you) is going to see it, so is it really necessary?
    My show is full of white 4core security cable and my house gutters and window surrounds are black, so during the day its a bit obvious, but once the sun is down, the lights themselves are the bright attraction. And to be honest, the wires between my nodes can't really be seen given they are either hidden behind coro, or its too dark to be able to see them anyway.
    Just my 2c :)

3. AAH

AAH I love blinky lights :) Community Project Designer Generous Elf

Find Me On:
    You can get pixel strings in black, white, green and multi-coloured. The whole string will be the 1 colour and you can work out the pin uses via the JST connector on the end or by peering into the depths of the node and looking for the Di, Do, 5V, 0V on the pcbs.

4. OP
    OP
    aaronwa

aaronwa New Elf

Find Me On:
    You make a good point. I have a little OCD when it comes to cables and certain things. It might be time to try and overcome that.....

Boof63 likes this.
  5. videoman3857

videoman3857 Full Time Elf

HA HA HA. Lots of luck overcoming your OCD.
    Been there, done that, still got it.....

6. OP
    OP
    aaronwa

aaronwa New Elf

Find Me On:
    It's funny, i have a pure hatred for visible cables with AV. Security, CCTV.....

Yet i pick a hobby that requires cables EVERYWHERE!!

videoman3857, OzAz and Daniel1973 like this.
  7. Heath-LightsOnTapley

Heath-LightsOnTapley Senior Elf Generous Elf

sort of on the topic, but where would i buy red/white/green 18awg cable locally? The type on pixel strings